Now I Can Fill My Tackle Box

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ken Stockton

Reaction score
Thanks for all the info> I am a beginning fisherman and was wondering what type of stuff to buy. Thanks again

Depends on the area of the country your in and what type of water you will be fishing..

For sure though.. you cannot go wrong with some zoom worms 7-1/2 to 8 inch. punkin seed, watermelon, junebug. Get some mustad 2.0 and 3.0 wide gap hooks, some 1/8 and 1/16 oz bullet weights, or florida rig bullet weight ( they screw into the bait ). 10 lb test berkly XL or XT. Some spinnerbaits in 1/4 oz. white / chartruse. Zoom super flukes in watermelon, Senkos in just about any color you like they all work. Maybe a couple Manns baby -1, a top water bait like a Rapala Skitter walk or skitter pop..

the list goes on.. but this should get you started on pretty much any body of water..Good luck and have fun,,, pretty soon you have 100 pounds of tackle like the rest of us, and spending half your time on the water trying to figure out what to tie on next...

My Best advise is keep it simple, dont fall for the As seen on TV baits.. most of the time they catch more anglers than fish..

Brian

Check out this link:

http://www.bassresource.com/beginner/beginner.html

LOL!! As a result, JR posted that from a jail cell where he is spending time for failure to pay alimony and child support!

Its too easy to spend other peoples money lol.

Like Jr said get one of everything from Bass Pro Shops or just nose around your local tackle shops and ask for a little help because if you say you are new to fishin they wil try and sell you the store and that bill runs up awful fast.

If you need any more help on this or if you post the details on what types of water you will be fishing email me at [email protected] or post your email address and ill drop you a line.

T.S.

Ok, I keep hearing about Senkos. I think they are a plain rubber worm with no curly tail (am I wrong). How do you fish them? Like a worm?

Teri,

I rig it this way 95% of the time. I use 20# Power Pro braided line with a swivel and 14# mono leader on a spinning rod/reel. Work the weed edges and the holes in the thick stuff. After the initial cast and drop, I use it like a jerkbait. I throw this into the thickest stuff for LM. Downside is that pike love them and will take whole rig! I catch most of my largemouths on this bait and some smallies too.

Bob G.
P1231081.JPG

ok...here ya go..

I rigged it with the same hook that I had out already, but will sometimes use a circle hook for wacky rig. O-rings on the Senko can make it last longer. Wacky rigging is not my confidence bait, I mostly T-rig.

Bob G.
P1231086.JPG

Thanks for the pics. I see those things all the time but never fished one. They don't look like that would produce as much action as say a rubber worm with some type of curly tail. Guess that's why I've always passed them up.

Senko, the picture is worth a 1000 words, one suggestion when rigging it, I like to use a "wide gap" hook, a gamagatsu 4/0-5/0 wide gap. Thats a lot of plastic for a standard round bend. $.02 worth. KENNY

Is there a certain brand of senkos that best?

Bob G, I like the way you rig that senko. I've always just

hooked them in the middle, and after a fish or two they are gone.....Do they hold up a lot better that way and will they fall through the water the same way as with a center hook?

Teri,

Senko brand seems to work the best for me. I try the BPS brand and they seem to be lighter and not make it to the bottom, makes me use some sort of weight on it to help it get down. But, when the budget does not allow the cash expenditure, I do buy the BPS ones. So, who the heck knows........

Carlos

Teri,

Senko is the brand name and I buy the 5 inchers.

Mike L.,

I mostly rig it like the first pic. After a few fish, I sometimes have to cut the first 1/4" off and re-rig. After that, I cut the point off of the tail and rig from that end trying to maximize the number of fish caught from one bait. Then a pike comes along and takes it all!! When a LM or SM is agressively feeding, I don't think that they get too picky with the fall rate and retrieve. On slow days, it can make a difference. I watched some LM in clear shallow water on a slow hot summer day last year. I threw out a Senko and left it lay on the bottom and watched a LM come over and just look at it. I slightly twitched it and he finally inhaled it. He would not take it on my normal retrieve, so sometimes you gotta slow down.

I have fished with guys that like the wacky rig and catch lots of fish, but I don't have as much luck with it.

Bob G.

Hey Teri, the key to fishing a Senko type bait (Yamamoto, Kinami, BPS-my favs), is to watch the line. Bass USUALLY bite 'em soft. You'll see the line move before you "feel" the strike. And you don't have to "rip their lips off" on the hook-set. They'll pick 'em up and hold on for a long time. A long sweep set works best for me. Marke and I caught a couple of kicker LM on the BPS versions in our 'Clair LM championship victory. They also work great for skipping boat docks. Spinning gear with 8-10lb fireline and a wide gap 2/0 hook, no weight. With a little practice, you can skip those suckers way under docks or pontoon boats. Use the larger 5" size.

Craig

Back