Noisey Tin??

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fatrap

Reaction score
I'm starting to turn away from the idea of buying a 18 foot Tundra WT. One big issue I had with all my tin boats, that I forgot to think about was noise. That lap lap lap noise when using the trolling motor into the wind and running in chop. My dealer assures me that the Tundra is so full of foam it sounds pretty quite. I'm not so sure. Anyone out there with an Avalanche or Tundra that can anwser this question. It's kind of a biggy for me.

fatrap

Post a question to Bassin Fool as he had a Avalanche for a few years until he went Bass Cat this year thus allowing his handle to fit him to a T.

Buzz

Most all the newer ones have more foam than the Coast Guard requires because it's great for deadening sound. My tin is very quiet except when I drop my rod or beer:D

My boat doesn't make any more noise than a friend's Stratos. The open hull tin boats (jon boats and v-hull, bench-seat boats) are noiser. I also believe the foam, plus the deck and carpet, diminish the traditional noise over my grandfather's rowboat.

The worst noise is when I'm running on plane and I hit a wake wrong, slamming the boat down pretty hard against the water. Other than that I don't even notice the hull noise trolling around.

Still teetering on the verge. I guess it depends if I can sell my little Nitro. Thanks for the input guys.

fatrap

I have a Tundra 18 DC. this boat is very quite. The ride is great. I also own a jon boat, the difference is night and day.

Troy

Noise has not been an issue in my switch from glass to tin.

I found a site called Next Bite. They seem to be pretty high on Tundras. Put a post on their forum too. Like I said I'm on the verge. I started out 32 years ago with tin and a Merc and I might end up in Tin and a Merc. I wonder if the Tundra has gun mounts??????:lol:

fatrap

Mike,

The "Next Bite" is operated by Gary Parsons and Keith Kavajeicz. You may or may not get a totally unbiased assessment. I will try to put you in touch with a couple of pros that run them and who will be totally and brutally honest.;)

If you fish any kind of big water at all...you will absolutely love the higher sides on the Tundras. Up close...they are deeeep;)

Tracker Tundra's do not sound anything like a conventional aluminum boat when running in the water. The foam and the formed aluminum hull with the aggressive flare hits very softly as it goes through the waves. You will not know you are riding in an aluminum boat. The boat is also very dry as the water is pushed out to the sides by the shape of the hull. The only way you will ever get wet is if there is enough wind to throw it back at you. I really encourage you to try and get in one and test it out on the water. Most dealers will either know somebody who has one or have a pro staffer who would be happy to take you out for a spin.

If you have any other questions I'd be happy to answer them. Send an email or call (701) 720-8614. Jim Carroll NPAA #13

Back