New Motor

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scott Shenton

Reaction score
How should I test the motor on this little rig I am thinking of buying. The seller swears that it runs fine, and he had it tuned last year, but you know how that goes. I don't think it's in a place where I can put muffs on it, to run it.?????

Also, I need to get a hitch put on my new truck, so what size ball should I get, and what type of trailer light connection should I get?????

You will need to check the trailer to see what size hitch ball, most common for boat trailers is 2", should be a 4 wire flat plug on the trailer. You have got to have water to run the engine otherwise you will burn up the water pump impellar in just a few short seconds.

Good Luck

BF

Does the boat trailer have brakes? Is it likely you will be pulling different trailers in the future.

2" ball is the standard for all the bigger heavier boats.

I have an RV electrical connector and a number of converters to 4 flat, 5 flat, and 6 round.

I pull a trailer with disc brakes so I use a 5 flat receptacle. (the 5th wire controls a brake release solonoid for backing up, works from the backup light voltage.)

Get a setup for the rig(s) you pull or might pull.

Bill

The first and most important thing is a compression test. Go to Local auto parts store, and purchase a rubber tipped compression gauge( the type you hold in and not the one that screws in.) The screw in type can damage pistons if the threads are to long. The compression should be at least 100 lbs. and if it has 2 or more cylinders there should not be more than 10 lbs difference on each cylonder. Back the bottom screw out a little on the lower unit, and make sure there is no water in there. One more thing, I would not buy any motor without first running it. If you need any help, or I did not explain myself clearly, e-mail me.

Bubby

For a little rig you can probably put a ball on your bumber if you have a pick up. Otherwise it's wise to have a pro put a hitch on your vehicle and hook up the wires.

Sometimes your lower unit will fit into a bucket of water then just keep it full with a hose. I water muff should fit all engines anyway. Don't overrev the engine.

fatrap

I have used a trash can for a 9.9, gets the can nice and clean also. But if you can fill a trash can you have enough hose for muffs.

BF

when I was selling my little boat I took the feller fishin it was cold and nasty but he caught two of biggest smallmouth he had ever caught amazing he didn't even try to haggle with me on the price got back to the ramp he paid me and drove off with my little green sheen worked out good.

Back