New member and new-to-me Nitro

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thp865

Reaction score
Howdy, folks, new member in E TN. Bought a 1995 Nitro 170DC Rick Clunn Edition with a 115 Mercury this week that hasn't been run since 2001 so I will be going through the motions of bringing her back to life. It was stored in a non-climate controlled garage, uncovered, and will need a good cleaning. What mechanical/electrical procedures does everyone recommend I perform? My thoughts are fog cylinders, drain all old gas, new battery(s) and ??? Do any of the through hull connections need to be checked prior to putting in water? If so, how would I do that? Pull apart and re-silicone? Thanks for your time and any assistance.

I think you may have your work cut out for you. I would fog the cylinders and slowly turn it over by hand. If you can pull the plugs out and bore scope each cylinder to see the condition of the walls, that would be a great benefit. Start with the basics, fuel, spark, compression, etc.

You will need to get a legal pad to write down all the components and just use a systematic approach to all the systems, checking them off one by one as they are checked off.

Might as well start with a new water pump as well. I wouldn't even try to run it without doing that, once you determine if she has compression and no stuck rings or pits in the cylinder walls.

Good luck!

Back