new fish finder

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SCOTT GARDNER

Reaction score
I just got a new fish finder far my 2002 pt 175.Its going to go on the bow on the trolling mortor.Has any one put one up there and where did u put it.On the deck or on the front metal plate that u step on to get in the boat.I am thinking the deck.If deck where is a good place.I have never fished a boat that had one on the trolling motor so help me not put it in the wrong place.The finder is the Garmin 240.

I don't think you want to mount it up on the metal step. Think about the deck. I think it will be better protected.

I've always mounted them on the deck. main reason is that if you drill a hole in the deck for the wires it is usually easier to cover up if you take it off to sell the boat or for what ever reason, I have sold 2 boats that have had a deck mounted finder and I have patched the holes for the cable with a tapered wooden dowl and then glued a piece of cut-to-fit carpet from inside the rod boxes, you could never tell. The screw holes will never be noticed with the carpet. Of course this was all done on a fiberglass carpeted deck, but i don't think it would matter as long as it is carpeted. KENNY

Scott, Go to the Resources category on this site and click on Grab Bag...Mike Trepper has a project called Bow Mounted Eagle......this should help you....Its helped a lot of us! Mike L.

I have a 2001 PT 175. I mounted my Garmin just left of the plastic insert where the trolling motor plugs in. There is unused wiring there. I just drilled holes for the finder mount and another in the middle for the wiring. You can take off that panel and get good access to everything you need. That's a great place because I never walk there and is perfect for seeing the finder.

Jim

I'll try to get a picture up for the grab bag. I mounted a front finder with a temp probe and never had to drill a large hole. My only holes I drilled were small pilot holes for my mounting screws for the base. Came out real clean and wires are not all over the place.

Latest posts

Back