new boat owner

• Thread starter Travis Blankenship
  • Start date
Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Travis Blankenship

Reaction score
Hey guys and girls,

Just bought my first bass boat, a 2005 nitro nx882 with a mercury xr6. I love it so far. I just had a few questions about it. When I get on plane and I start trimming the motor up, it will only go about a 1/4 of the way up on the trim gauge. Is this a safety that won't let you trim up any further at top speed? It seems to plane fine. I got it up to 60 mph in it with me, my wife, all gear, and a 1/2 tank of gas. Does this sound about right the the top speed? Also, is there anything that I need to do to the boat to get the gel coat in good shape and the seats? The boat is in showroom condition now and I would like to keep it that way. If you guys have any suggestions I would really appreciate it. Its my first bass boat so I will take on any indo you will give.

yes, the trim will stop for safety, watch your water pressure. Don't let it get too low when you are trimmed out. You are getting good speeds if they are GPS and not speedo. Need to know rpm's at WOT and prop/motor size. For the finish, pick up some Bass Boat Saver, it is a great product. Welcome, you'll like it here.

TOXIC

Only thing i would suggest from experience is to get rid of the crappy oil injection mercury came up with if its carburated.I learned the hard way 4000 later.

I have the same boat. Single console. I can get 61-62 on GPS on a good day. I just put a hydraulic steering system on it this winter. Great addition to a good boat.

Congrats... I think that is one of the best values for your money boat out there...

to reply back to what toxic asked, I have a 150 hp motor with a tempest 23 pitch prop. That prop seems to be small compared to what you guys have. I am not for sure what the rpms are at wot. If you guys have any other suggestions i would greatly appreciate it.

I used to have the same boat with a 150 Opti. I think the 23 tempest is pretty much the standard prop. I think anything bigger would hurt the hole shot. 60 MPH is about right. Most days mine would run about 60-61. Best ever speed was 63 with a light load, cool weather, and a light chop at my back.

Back