Need good waders

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VA Chris

Reaction score
I need a good pair of neoprene chest waders. Does anyone have any recommendations? I have gone to the BPS, Cabellas, and Gander Mt websites and the reader reviews are hit or miss. Some folks rave about brand X and others complain that theirs leak after two outings. I dont mind paying for good ones but it seems I buy a pair and a year later they leak like a sieve. I want something that is going to last. On another note does anyone have a good method for sealing existing leaks? I have used standard seam sealer with limited success. Dont know if there is something better.

thanks

I'm going on my 3rd year with Cabela's Waterfowler 1200 Ti waders. So far so good but I really only walk out to my pit and sit. Not a ton of abuse. In the past when I hunted hard on public areas and went out hiking I could count on about 2 years tops for even the best waders. As for repairs, I have had very poor success with trying to fix leaking waders. If the leak is in the rubber part, AquaSeal will probably take care of it. If on the seam, good luck. That's why I go with Cabela's. If they start leaking within a couple years, you can make a stink and they will usually replace them. Keep the box and reciept and they will make it good.

NoCAL

Chris,

I trout fish pretty hard and have the Pro Line 3.5mm Neoprene Chest Waders from Dick's Sporting Goods. Not overly expensive and they do a good job. I paired them up with the Pro Line wading shoes and I like the set-up. Going on 4 years of use now.

Scott

thanks Guys

Well Cabellas is not close but I supposed I can make a run up to Martinsburg to Dicks.

Scott - Hit dam 4 Friday evening and Saturday (hence the need for better waders)I caught a nice 3.5 to 4lb walleye Friday and got skunked on Saturday. I was snake bit and couldn

Maybe you weren't holding your mouth right! (sorry, that is one of dad's old sayings) I'm hearing that musky are really hitting everything right now. I've still been a little leary of the river with all the rain lately. I fished Big Pool again this past weekend and only caught 2 largemouth, but they were good ones. They seemed to be short-striking everything. Heading for Seneca Lake in Montgomery Coounty next Saturday. I saw one there last year that had to go 8 lbs.

Scott

When I wade fished the 'doah a lot, I used Orvis 3mm stockingfoot waders and felt soled boots. They held up great and as a matter of fact, I still have them. I used to bust through ice with them. They ain't cheap but you can get them on clearance at their store in Fairfax.

TOXIC

Seneca huh? I might have to head down there sometime. Since this is the first time I have bought a Maryland license I want to take advantage of it.

Tox - thanks for the tip!

You should try Seneca. It's about 550 acres if I remember correctly. Some nice little coves that you can get out of the wind. There's a ramp fee and it's electric only, but you can still have your big motor mounted. It can get crowded in nice weather.

Scott

Any predictions on conditions for this coming weekend? With all the rain we've had, I'm not sure that the three days of clear skies will give the river enough time to calm down. Was hoping to get out there too! Guess I need to think about investing in waders as well.

Well Jim I guess it all depends on where you want to go.Up my way (Winchester,Va) it looks like the rain is gone at least through this weekend and the river should come down to a decent level by Saturday . Down on the tidal portion of the Potomac I would imagine it could still be a little junk filled but I could be wrong.

That's exactly why I've been hitting the lakes lately. I don't have to worry about high, fast, junk filled water and the water temps are more stable.

Scott

Thanks Chris. I was thinking Point of Rocks/Lander area.

Scott - I hear you. I hit Lake Anna last Saturday. Darned near froze my a_s off but caught about half a dozen bass and a couple of cats. Nothing of significant size but it was good to get the fishing gear out again and to run the bass boat.

Back