Near Miss

• Thread starter Scott Hammer TOXIC
  • Start date
Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scott Hammer TOXIC

Reaction score
Just a reminder.....Check your equipment before you pull away from the ramp. I got home the other day and my coupler lockdown pin was pulled and my coupler was up in the release position. I would never do that and I wonder if sombody wasn't going to try to pull off my recently re-worked trailer. Kids playing around? I doubt it though..my marina is very secure. I just can't believe I could have done that. Maybe the pin wasn't in all the way and popped out? I dunno but it sure got my attention!! Could have been disasterous!!

TOXIC

Could have been a total disaster for you and a bunch of people behind you if it had come loose in the high-way !!!

I will use my trailer lock 24-7 frrom now on.

Good reminder. It happened to my brother once and I believe it was on the way to Anna. Thank God for safety chains.

Bill

Thats why I always keep a pad lock on the latch...To keep the honest guy honest and decrease the chance of losing the trailer.

Don - My wife has more faith in people and think I am anal for using locks on ALL my trailers. The lock serves two purposes. It ensures that the latch is down and will NOT come loose or up and it keeps everyone honest. So many fishermen worry about losing electronics and gear from on-board but neglect to lock the trailer tongue on their tow vehicle or lock it while off the vehicle as well.

Toxic - Glad you didn't have a mishap. Course it was that old beat up 929. :lol:

I guess I better invest a few more bucks in Master Lock stock!!

Bill, I'm gonna go fish your stuff tomorrow!! Dike 2 in the weee early hours, cept I's gonna throw my super secret buzz bait at em'!!!LOL How busy was the lake when you were out? I'm hoping most everybody comes home today!!

TOXIC

Tox - Not real busy at all early. By 0930 they were starting to come in. The canal (lower end) had about 8-10 boats in early when I drove up to Elk Creek so many are still fishing the hot side.

I am going out with Jim Hemby in the wee early hours tomorrow to learn the Striper and Live Bait method. Never was a striper person but hey, figure I can learn from one of the good ones on the lake. Would also like to learn the tricks of netting the shad he used for bait. Will post some pictures if we catch anything!

Jim's spot on for stripers. He'll put you on some (tell him I told you that and put the pressure on). After your trip then you can show me!! I have never used live bait for them. I'd like to learn more. Honk if you see me......Wave if I go by you, I should be up in the splits/Jets Island area since I will be meeting the family there.

TOXIC

Toxic - Will wave and show you all the 20+ pounders we caught. I assume we will be at or above the splits considering the various reports I am getting. Besides learning how to do stripers I am really interested in learning where and how to net those "minners" Will be a great winter bait for the hot side if I can learn. I have the casting net(s) but really don't know the "technique". If I learn I guess I will have to go and get a dipping permit.

If I don't see you have a great day on the lake and don't stay away from the family for too long!

I always use a set of locks...one for the spare and the other for the coupler. That way you actually have four sets of keys because they will work on both;)

I lock the whoel thing, the swing part of the trailer, the hitch connector and the hitch itself on the truck. Can never tell....

Locks everywhere

Good points. I also suggest carrying an extra hardened bolt where the tongue pivots from the trailer.

Had 2 break on me so far.

Two???

wow...never would have thought....don't have a spare for that...

what caused them to break? wouldn't think there would be much stress on it....????

lost an S-hook out of my bungee strap for the motor last night after a tournament...didn't have a spare hook or bungee...someone else 'loned' me a bungee....

another lesson learned...

az

What's best locks to get for the Nitro trailer without spending a fortune?

Note to self..."Do NOT follow Toxic on the way to St.Clair in August....he is the Caboose!":lol:

JDJ,

I do not remember where I bought the locks. But, here is a link to some that are rpetty close to what I have.

It is the Durasafe locks that are on special.

Carlos

http://www.candomarineparts.com/Page502.htm

Back