my weight and tow vehicle (170 dc)

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John Dallaire

Reaction score
I tried the search funtion and came up dry so I figured I would ask here. I was curious if anybody knows the weight of my 1996 nitro 170 dc. It has a 75 tracker on the back. Thats part one of this thread.

My second question is what is the best small/med suv in your opinion for towing this weight. I have a very youngh daughter so I cant go to a full blown pickup yet.

John

I swear by Jeep Grand Cherokees, tho i do not own one now, i did haul my '04 NX882 with it, and it had the 4.0L inline -6 cylinder. Jeep Liberty would work also, Ford Explorer, etc. The Grand Cherokee with the 4.0L has a tow capacity of i believe 5,000 Lbs. The GC's are a nice vehicle IMO. My 882 weighs a bit more than the 170DC, as my 882 is a DC as well. Hope my .02 worth helps, Jim

I think the hull weight on my old 170 DC was 1200 pounds. The trailer about 400 the motor was 360 but I had a Rude.

fatrap

Can't go with a small SUV for towing much (e.g., Toyota RAV4, Honda CRV). Their tow ratings are about 2,000lbs - just a class 1 in most cases. Won't do it for bass boats. Medium SUV's are a better bet - like the ones Jim Corson mentioned. Be aware of the difference in medium SUV's between car-based SUV's (so-called "cross-over" SUV's where they are truck like vehicles on car frames) versus true SUV's (built on truck frames). The former generally top out at 3,500lbs tow weight (class 2), whereas the latter are closer to 5,000lbs (class 3).

Seabass81,

I have a 640 with a 90. A bit lighter but close. i have pulled it with my wifes Mazda Tribute and now tow with a ford Explore. the tribute did fine except for steper ramps, when they get wet or slimed the front wheel dive slipped on the pull out. the Explore being rear drive works great. It's not a large SUV but midsize and I need that for that it is my primary to work so MPG is important. Its also long enough inside for rods and gear.

Dan

I've towed my 700lx 115 merc with a Minivan v-6 with no issues (3500lb rating), now tow it with my Dodge Magnum v-8 (3800lb rating), all wheel/4-wheel drive is ideal, rear wheel is better then Front Drive, but as Dan said as long as the ramps are not too steep/ice/slick front drive will work if you take it easy. So i would go with a minimum of 3500lb towing capacity for any vehicle for that boat. My guess would be total weight with all your gas/gear/trailer... is somewhere between 2000-2500lbs, so you always want to be on the safe side weight wise. Also, what ever you get make sure it has a tow package (or install one) with a tranny cooler! And change the trany fluid every 30k miles, and keep the brakes and tires in good shape.

Trep

Seabass81

My only concern is not the towing capacity it is the stopping! I used to tow an old 18'6" fiberglass with a 120 Force which was a very heavy set up for its size with a Ford Bronco II. A 2.9 litre v-6 and while I may have lagged behind my bigger breatheren at time I always caught up (specially down hills!) it was the stopping once I did catch them that made things interesting. There was more than once I stopped so close to one of the guys ahead of me they asked if I could read the serial number on their props!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Randy!

i have a nitro 750 with a 90 on it, and pull it with a 2005 gmc canyon 4x4. i have not had any problems but, i would not go any smaller than that

I pulled my Z6 w/Merc 115 home from Tenn through the mountains, about 7 hour trip, with my wife's 05 4 Runner V6. I had no problems going up or stopping. I am going to pull it to Ky(9 hours) in June and plan to use it again. Normally I use my truck but we need the space.

Back