Motorguide Trolling Motor movements

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nathan Mitkoff

Reaction score
New to the group so bear with me. I have a Nitro 750NX 2002 with the basic motorguide 43# T/M. Through this year I have noted that if I do not pay attention to the unit that it will change direction on me unless the water is very quiet. Is this a basic characteristic of trolling motors (foot control) or am I just up against the basic starter T/M that Nitro gives (you know..cheap). Part 2 of the question: if it is worthwhile to upgrade -will the Minn Kota have the same basic issue?

I have an older trolling motor, so I can't tell you exactly where, but there should be a tensioning screw on the underside of your foot pedal that you can use to adjust the free movement out.

Now, Doc..... You got a good cure for cabin fever? :^)

Welcome aboard!

me!

Doc, I have the same boat but never noticed your issue. My problem is that the trolling moter makes a very high humming or squeeling noise. I was thinking about upgading to a Min Kota but you would have to get a kit or make-shift something for the resesed foot pedal area?

Brad

Had the same problem with the MG. When it had a speed control board go out a few months ago I switched to a 55# MK. The MK has a clearly marked tensioning screw that helps alot at keeping the boat heading the right direction without constant attention. It's alot quiter too.

Harpo

Brad, I don't know how big your recessed area is on your boat, but I recall Curtis getting a Minn Kota for his 901 and he was able to modify the foot pad to fit the recessed area on his 901 without any problems. I also recall him saying it was simple to do. Thanks

Doc,

To tighten up the steering on the motorguide is pretty easy. All you need to do is take the head of the tm apart. Then remove the steering rack assembly, its held down by 6 screws. Then loosten the set screw in the pinion gear and tighten that pinion gear a little to tighten up the steering, then retighten the set screw and reassemble and your all set. Just dont forget to realign the arrow. you may need to try it a few times to get the feel you want but its easy enough to do. Also dont tighten it too much because it can cause steering cable issues if its too tight.

Brad,

When I put my minnkota on my nx882 I glued two pieces of 1/2 inch plywood together and then cut them to fit the hole in the floor. I carpeted it and screwed it down in the recess. It works great and looks factory.

I have reservations about modifying the pedal on a minnkota to make it fit in the recess. All the electronics are in the pedal and it needs a lot of air flow to keep them from cooking. My tm repair guy told me they now want people to leave the rubber feet on the minnkota even if your screwing it to the deck. They say this will help airflow under the pedal to prevent overheating.

Guys--thank you for the responses. It is neat to get this kind of help so quickly form people who know better than anyone else. Thanks!

Back