MERC XR6 Shifter prob

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BJ Laster

Reaction score
Made it out to the lake for a couple of hours. Let me say it wasn't good.

First of all I back down the ramp and back the boat off the trailer tie it up and go pull the truck out. I get in the boat and remember I unscrewed the plug to let some water drain out...back up to the truck to pull the boat out. I get the plug in and go fishing.

When I go to put the boat up on plane I push the throttle all the way down and it goes VRRRM blank spot VRRRM and i'm on pad..i thought it was a lil odd but i go to my area. I back off the throttle half way and it comes off pad. I then pushed on the throttle a little and it seemed to have a tough spot. after idle when I would try to push the throttle in it seemed very hard to push it but it could be done. Anyway I pulled the cowling off to take a look. I shift and something comes off. I take a closer look and reconnect a couple of things. (have no idea what it was). I then sit down to see if this solves my prob. Well it doesn't and now i can only idle. It will shift into gear but it wont go past idle even with the throttle all the way down. I have a tourny tomorrow so I hope it can be fixed easily but what should I look for?

BJ

BJ, check your linkage, it may need adjustment. Or you may have snapped a cable. Either way, it can be fixed in minutes if the shop has the parts, and any Merc dealer should. They may also need to check your throttle "box" for lack of knowing what it's actually called. The assembly behind the throttle lever. You don't have a hotfoot do you?

Then that rules that out. Get to a shop quick and have them look at it so you don't have problems in your tourney. Don't fool around before a potential payday.

It's bad karma coming your way for not wanting to help that other boater the other day!!!

Remember, young grasshoppa....you reap what you sow!!!

Back