McGee Creek - Oklahoma 2005

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Larry Campbell

Reaction score
My brother and I take a week long fishing trip each spring. We used to go to Lake Fork, but for the past several years we have been going to McGee Creek in southern Oklahoma. We normally catch pretty good numbers and usually end up with several nice fish. Last year my brother caught his personal best at 7lb 9oz.

Joe7-9asmall.JPG

This year I matched his on the last day when I caught this one that went 7lb 9oz.

Larry7lb9oz_editedsmall.JPG

Just 15 minutes before I caught mine, my brother caught one that weighed 5lb 1oz out of a submergerd cedar tree 100 yards down the bank.

Sorry about the size, I am attempting to resize. It does make them look bigger though.

Your talking my very favorite lake Larry. My son and I make several trips to McGee Creek every year. I have never failed there...something I can't say about Fork. The other good thing is even if the wind is off the chart you are fairly well protected by the deep bank in most of the lake. Best bass lake in Oklahoma IMHO.

Harpo

Tox, I read one time, in Doug Hannon's book I think:unsure:, that it's an age thing. It's how you can tell an old bass that's not very big from one that's younger and gorged himself on shad and crawdads all his life.

Harpo

BTW, Larry those are some nice looking bass. Looks like you were way up in the creek. Is that Potopo or McGee? I have had some decent sucess fishing some of the points in the main lake.

I see that you live in Edmond, me too.

Harpo

I agree, McGee Creek is the best bass lake in Oklahoma and the scenery is nice with all the turkey and deer around. We used to get some good numbers at Fork in the mid to late 90's, but the fishing was tough for several years and we could not justify the expense of going down there when we have this lake in Oklahoma. Both of these fish came from Potapo Creek. My brother's came from one of the first coves as you head up the creek. Mine came from a cove just inside the timberline at the north end. We have good luck on some of the coves between the two main boat ramps as well. One of these produced about 15 fish with several right at 3lbs. We were fishing one of the main lake points between the two ramps when my brother caught this smallmouth on a spinning rod with 8lb test. It weighed 4lbs 5oz. Not huge, but the first smallmouth we have caught there.

Joesmallmouthsmall.JPG

We stay for a week in the spring and then I try and take my boys, age 10 and 8, for a 3 day trip or two during the summer. The place we stay at has a small pond and my boys have almost as much fun fishing it when we get off the water. I was born and raised in Edmond.

Larry

I know exactly where you're at in that picture. I caught a nice one right off that point behind you and this monster;)...

New World Record.jpg

just around the corner close the the camping area. We never seem to have the camera ready when the big fish are caught. I assume that when you stay down there for a week you are staying in a cabin or something nearby. We camp down there usually a couple of times a year. Have you ever tried the cabins on the lake? They would be better if they had their own bathrooms.

Harpo

We have never tried the cabins at the lake. We stay at a place called Angler's Roost in Lane. It is about 3 or 4 miles to the lake and the people that run the place are real nice. They don't advertise, they get their business through referrals. The first time we called them we asked if they needed a deposit and they said no, just call if you are not going to be able to make it down. It usually costs us 39.00 a night for both of us. We usually show up Sunday and leave Friday and it costs us 100.00 each for the 5 nights. A link to their website is listed below.
http://mypeoplepc.com/members/lperfield/anglersroost/index.html

Hey Larry, I just made a reservation at Anglers Roost for Sat. night. I can't wait, it sounds like a great place. I was suprised to find out that it's way out in the country and not on the main highway. You need to come on down... we'll meet up cremate some steaks and enjoy a few brews.

BTW. If you like Red River spinnerbaits Academy is closing out. I bought about a dozen for $1.99 and $1.44 ea. Heck of a deal!!:D

Harpo

It is kind of out of the way, but I like that since you are less likely to have people stealing from your boat. We have been staying there three years now and have never had a problem. What type of room did you get? The motel type rooms are pretty roomy. They divided a 2 room mobil home into two separate rooms each with their own full bath. Last year my boys and I stayed in the travel trailer. It was great with the shade and the large porch they added. The only thing I didn't like was the shower. It was kind of small for me, but was manageable. The owners are really nice people. I wish I could come down this weekend, but I work on Saturdays and Sundays. Hopefully around the first of July I have weekends off. I have worked weekends for almost 16 years now. It wasn't that big of a deal before, but with my kids in school it would be nice to spend more time with them. One last bit of advice. When you leave Angler's Roost to head for the lake the road is pretty good for a ways and then there are some bad potholes on the county road that are deceiving until you get up on them. Good luck this weekend, my boys and I are going to try and get down there the 1st thru the 3rd of June.

Larry

Back