Mayfair livewell pump not priming

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve Rizza

Reaction score
Anybody else have problems getting their Mayfair pump to start pumping water. Most of the time I can start it by backing up the boat. Sometimes I have to reach into the bilge and crack the top open to let the air out.

It's mounted as close to the transom as possible, and looks to be about as level as can be(no way to change that).

Never had any trouble with the Rule pump.(untill it burned up)

Any ideas????? It is really a P.I.T.A...:angry:

Steve

I had the same problem with the Mayfair pump I put in to replace my original Rule. My local Tracker dealer(not the dealer I bought from) told me the Mayfair was the specified replacement, but what I found out is that the pump housing has an adapter on it that puts it approx 2 inches higher than the Rule. In my PT175 I think that put it enough above the water line that it absolutely would not prime. Sometimes it would prime when I backed up, but not always. I bought a new Rule at BPS in springfield on my way to Texas and put it in last week so I have not tired it yet, but assume it will be back to normal.

Downstream,

That sounds like what I have going on. Maybe I'll try turning it on it's side and see if it puts it below the waterline.

Steve

Major Mark,

I don't know about reliability as this is only the second pump I've had. The first was a Rule.

I went with the Mayfair because the top can be easily taken off to clear out any debries jammed in the impeller.

The Rule had to be completely removed from the transom and screws taken out to do it.

Steve

Back