Maiden Voyage

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Ackermann

Reaction score
Took the Pro V-16 w/t out for it's maiden voyage this weekend. Other than me being the worlds worst backerupper, everything worked flawlessly. Until, I pulled it out of the water and pulled the plug. There was several gallons of water in the bilge.

I've read many posts on lots of forums and it is usually a loose hose connection on a livewell or bige pump. My question is, how do you get to any of the hose connections. I hate to haul it all the way back to the dealer for a loose hose clamp, but with everything enclosed I don't see how to get to any of them without taking the whole boat apart?

Bill

Never been in your model boat before, but you should be able to access most of the plumbing by lifting out the trays in your rear storage units.

As far as backing up goes, haul your rig to the closest school parking lot. Bring some cones or 5-gal buckets and practice backing into them, thru them, around them, etc...

There's no way to tell someone how to back a trailer, experience is the only good teacher.

Bill, this is the question that led me to this site. If you ran on plane at full speed for any time at all you probably got water in your boat through the seam between the hull and the gunwale (that's the rail that runs around the top of the boat). It's riveted on and water can be forced in there in the rear of the boat. You can seal it with silicone if you want, I just turn on the bilge pump after a long run. The first time I pulled the plug and it drained like that I freaked. I thought there must be a broken weld in the hull. I got it out in the street and filled up to the floor with the hose. Not one drop from any seam. Then I did a search on the internet and found this site. Someone else had the same problem, so my worries were calmed.

When you're backing try holding the steering wheel at the bottom instead of the top, then steer the wheel in the direction you want the boat to go. I looked like a snake going down the ramp until I learned that little trick.

Hope that helps!

Hey Adam, where've you been? Haven't seen you on in a while.

Harpo

Hate to use four-letter words on Rich's fine website, but there's only one to answer your question...WORK!!

Spent the last month or so in CA, and all over NC, SC and LA before that. Usually fly out of DFW between 6-7 Monday morning and return late Friday night. Load up the boat, fish all weekend and start over again on Monday.

Not for long! Leave for Houston in a couple hours.

Back on Thursday, though, and off to the lake...no cell phones, computers, customers, hookers.

Well...err...maybe I'll bring one cell phone.

i think using the mirrors while backing up is easier than turning around. but like everyone has said, it takes practice. guess 10 yrs. backing trailers at ups helped me out.

bryan

Bill-

This may be totally out in left field, but was there any water in the bilge before you launched?

My boat sat outside "new" before I purchased it...

I don't have the same boat as you (TV-18), but the only way to trace your hoses is to start "peaking" around as best you can...some you can see/get to pretty easy...some not...

az

The bilge was dry before I took it to the lake, leave the plug out because is parked uncovered at home. Anyway dropped it off at Tracker Marine this morning, I figure for a one week old boat they can do the peeking around or whatever it takes.

As far as backing I am really working on using only mirrors. My dad, most of my brothers and uncles are all hardcore Teamster truck drivers and back trailers for a living. We all usually take one week of vacation together on Bull Shoals and I am part of weeks entertainment as they all come down to the launch to watch and cheer and jeer as I try to get my fishing boat close to the water...LOL

Bill

I turn around as much as possible. I don't need to see my hands, I need to see that big hunk of glass behind me on a big trailer with glass fenders!! So far, only one tree managed to ambush me!!LOL

TOXIC

I get to see a large number of boaters putting in and as the rig hits the water the reverse wake dumps a bunch of the lake over the transom filling the bilge. Check for any wet carpet on the back deck after launch and, if present, back down slower to prevent the washover. Just an idea.

Latest posts

Back