lower unit

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BJ Laster

Reaction score

I just noticed a small hole in my lower unit. it is even with the lowest water intake hole but in the very front of my unit. it is about 1/8 of an inch deep or so. What should I do?

Definitely speedo hole. They put it in the best possible place to collect wood debris so that it plugs up and your speedo doesn't work anymore.........

It doesn't look like something the factory did. It looks like something hit it. I hit something last night idling through some shallow water, but I check everything on the water and didn't notice it unti today.

It doesn't look like something the factory did. It looks like something hit it. I hit something last night idling through some shallow water, but I check everything on the water and didn't notice it unti today.

If it is not leaking oil, than its not a problem. Your gonna scratch up a lower unit eventually.

It may be the speedo hole, the speedo hole from the factory isnt cut very clean, on my merc it looks like the cut a chunk out instead of drilling a hole.

what would happen if you put some duct tape over it...if the speedo still worked, at least that would rule that out

I have to agree that it's the pickup for the speedometer. BJ, you and I have the same motor. When I first saw mine I thought that something had knocked a chunk of metal off the leading edge.

Latest posts

Back