looking at avalanches

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Kear

Reaction score
Hey guys. I'm looking at Tracker Avalanches versus something like a PT185. For a first time boat owner, how tough will it be to control something like a 150hp powered avalanche versus a 50hp - 75hp powered PT185? Don't want to get in over my head, but would like to avoid the typical upgrade and get it over in one shot.

Thx

Mike - I started with a PT175 (40hp) and was glad I did. Made a lot of mistakes in that boat, but because of the engine and design (unpainted aluminum and top speed of 25mph), I didn't hurt myself, the family, or the boat! I did go through a few props, but that was a small price. I ended up keeping and fishing out of that boat for over four years before "upgrading" to a G3 HP180 with 150hp. When I sold the PT175, it was still in great shape. The G3 with the big outboard was a very different handling ride, but my confidence in handling the PT175 (learned over five years) helped tremendously.

Of course, that was me! Some folks can start out fine with a larger boat. A lot also depends on what you want to do. If you fish tournaments regularly or your fishing is on big water, you may want an Avalanche from the get go. If you fish smaller rivers (and I include parts of the Potomac in DC) or reservoirs, the PT185 is probably more versatile. Whatever you do, look to max out the HP on the boat. You won't regret it during use or when its time for selling.

Get the big boat. I went from a 13' tin w/electric trolling motor to a 17 1/2 foot glass with a 140 Suzuki.....:)

Thanks guys. Right now all my experience is fishing out of a 10' plastic bass raider with electric power. We'll be keeping that for small ponds, but want something bigger for the 1000 islands, maybe the potomac, champlain, yet small enough that I can still get in few closer places to home. The main draw of the avalanche was how well it's supposed to handle in rougher water. While if it's too bad we won't be out there (not doing tournaments yet - maybe some day), I will have my soon to be 7 yr old son with me so stability is key. I guess I have the prebuy jitters. Don't want to regret buying that doesn't meet the needs yet don't want something too big that I end up being too scared to use. Either way I know I'll have to be cautious and pay attention all the time.

Rough water, It does not handle rough water that well, it does not have any cushion, every shot hurts, and its like a sail in the wind because it floats so high. I would get a fiberglass boat if ride is a factor, Im sure someone will get on here and tell you it rides great, but i have owned one anf ride in my buddies several times a year, and one the potomac it beats you to death.

mike c

Latest posts

Back