LMS520 Help

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greg Duggan

Reaction score
Question for all you guys using the new LMS520s.

i have been out a few times with the new electronics and i seem to learn somthing new everytime i turn it on. one thing i am having trouble with is teh sensitivty setting. do you leave it on auto mode or do you set your one sensitivity and if so, what do you set it at?

i find that in the auto mode it shows way to much garbage on the screen, i would not be able to identify a fish if i tried. so i set it to manuall at about 45/55%. the screen is much easier to read, but i have no idea how to identify bait fish or game fish.

i to set the fish ID and alarm to on and the screen now shows little pics of fish all over the place and plays more musical notes than the radio.

Help Please!!!! i am pulling my hair out at a fast rate, by the end of the spawn i will be bald if i don't figure this thing out. i ahve been using Garmin electronics since i bought the boat and this Lowrance is giving me a run for my money.

any tips or advice is welcome.

Thanks

GregD

I have an x-85 on my bow. I went to a Bassmaster university class one year and one of the speakers spent an hour talking about nothing but fishfinders. If I remember correctly he said to turn the sensitivity down low and increase it until you see a 2nd bottom echo. Your adjustments will need to be changed with each major change in depth. Leave the fish id off too. I think he has a book too if I'm not mistaken. Several of the guys on here will know his name.

Gene

Greg,

I normally adjust the sensitivity on mine so there is just a little clutter on the screen. I dont use the fish id and mine seems to work pretty good. I also turn the noise reduction on. You may also have to mess with the ping speed and surface clarity settings.

Jim,

i did adjust the noise reduction on and it made a huge differance. Ping speed is somthing i have not messed with yet. i am trying to read the manual in small doses. it is a little over the top at this point.

i am going to check out the link above.. and see if it lends any help.

GregD

1. Shut off auto.

2. Go to a known depth.

3. Set depth range to double of known depth.

4. Increase sensitivity until you see two bottom echos, one at known depth and one at double the depth.

5. increase sensitivity just a tad....

Enjoy.

http://www.iovino.com/lowrance.htm

Go to this site and look at what Don's using for setup. I have an X510C and a LMS-520C and I use Don's setup for both. You will not believe how much better these units operate when you shut things off and take control.

Thanks guys,

i just printed the set up that Don is usuing, i will put it to the test this weekend,

GregD

Back