livewell smell

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve Gibson

Reaction score
HELP........Took the family on an outing to do some boating and some fishing with the youngest son(Joey) and had a great time and we got into a bunch of good size bluegills. We got back home late and i had to go to work so i asked Joey to get a cooler and fill it with ice get the fish out of the livewell and i would clean them when i got off work the next morning (this was Wendsday) come Saturday Joey comes in thru the garage and says dad what did you do with those fish, it smells bad out there,told him i cleaned them and they were in the freezer,i asked if he got all the fish out of the livewell and he said i got them all out of the right side....told him to go check it again, yep he missed 5 fish on the other side.Got the fish out and filled it up with water twice and put the boat outside and let it rain in it to try to get the smell out of it. What can i use in a livewell to get rid of the odor but be fish safe too.

Steve ><}}}}'>

baking soda, mixed with water wash real good and rinse it like your gonna eat out of it. KB

You can use clorox in a very diluted form but you have to be sure to rinse it out well. I have used simple green, scrubbed and flushed a couple of times. Before everybody has a cow, I put fish in it the next outing with no problems. Rinse, Rinse, Rinse!!

TOXIC

Actually clorine bleach is very good for that sort of thing. Many years ago I was an aquarium nut and helped a friend with an aquarium store and we used bleach often for tanks that had had diseased fish in them or had just gotten funky. It rinses out completly where soaps and detergents will always leave a fish killing residue. Salt water and sunlight are also good disinfectants.

Harpo

Pour straight vanilla extract in there and let it sit,.....it works great.

Then add some ice cream, milk, and malt then shake well and hand out straws to all the neighbors. LOL

Harpo

TOX - Your livewell sounds like MINE!!! Can't smell if there is NOTHING in it!!! LOL

Mac - Never tried Vanilla, is that besides a vinegar or baking soda bath?

Hey Tox-- "Depends on what you put in and how long you leave it in" uh -- like beer or soda pop or even fish.

HaleDamage.

PS : do not mix baking soda and vineger--lots of foaming.

Trep,...yes,....just pour Vanilla in the livewell. It washes out when the livewell is used the next time and it's non-toxic.

Latest posts

Back