livewell pump problem

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alex Peterson

Reaction score
Hi all,

I had tournament this past saturday and after catching my first keeper I go to turn my livewell on and I get nothing. I check the fuse, its blown, so I replace it and right when I hit the switch, to either auto or manual, the fuse blows. I went through five fuses already. I was messing with is yesterday and got it to work for five minutes but the next thing I know it is blowing fuses again. Is it possible the pump is jammed and causing the fuses to blow? I tried to take the pump out to look at it but I can't get the darn thing out. Can anybody tell me how to get it out or what my problem might be? I have a 1998 PT185. I have another tourney tonight so I will be doing the manual drain/fill with a bucket again :(

Thanks!

Alex

yep, its most likley the pump thats the problem. how to get it out i cant help you with.

I have the same problem with my 882 right now. i need to order a new pump.

Thanks, I was just looking on Rules website to see how to get my pump out and I saw this....

"Repeated blown fuse -Fuse rating or clogged impeller

Re-check fuse to verify compliance to pump specifications. Also examine impeller area & clean any obstructions."

Now I need to figure out how to get this thing out...

If its a RULE pump, There should be 2 tabs that you can squeeze and turn on top of the pump to open up and expose the impeller. You can turn the power on at this time to make sure the impeller spins freely, if it doesnt the pump is bad. If it spins, go ahead and clean out the housing and reinstall.... You should be good to go..

Mike

Thanks for all the reponses. After trying all the suggestions and not getting anything to work, I decided to email Rule. I guess my model does not have any type of quick release :(

"Thank you for contacting us. The Model 201FAA is a non-cartridge pump, the motor cannot be removed. In order to check the Impeller you would have to remove the thru-hull fitting from the boat. Then remove the four screws that hold that hold the threaded pipe onto the pump.

"

I AM impressed that they got back to me within 24 hours though.

They are pretty cheap, get a new cartridge style and install it....

Mini

I contacted Rule and replaced mine with the removable cartridge. Also where they are located on these things...it should be standard.:angry: Any small debris will lock those motors.

Here's a tip...Never ever take out the screen when emptying your livewell!

It will let debris in and then when your back on the lake and you turn it back on...it sucks it right back in.

Back