leaving charger on for extended periods

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

greg hall

Reaction score
have a guest 3 bank charger think its a 2613 does everybody leave their chargers plugged in for months?

I have the same charger and I left mine plugged in all winter. Boat was out side in car port. Temperatures hit

-25 last winter. The only thing is make sure batteries are filled to recommended levels with fluid, and check them agin in the spring as soon as the weather is warm enough to get at the boat.

Mine is garaged in Chicago suburbs (sane climate as Siberia only colder and more windy)... I leave my Guest plugged in all winter and batteries were/are fine...

P.S. Aroubnd here our winter thermometers start at 25 below and then get colder!!!

I would recommend checking on it every month.I uncovered my boat last spring and found that my charger had died over the winter.Luckily my battery didn't seem affected by the cold snap.

I made a phonecall to Guest,and a few days later a new one showed up at my door.

Steve

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and disagree....My buddy's garage burned to the ground from leaving a charger on for long periods. The 10 AMP and larger and 3 bank chargers get pretty warm to hot at times but your smaller trickle chargers would be a better choice for maintenance. From what I gather most of the newer chargers should be fine but, I only leave mine on long enough to maintain charge. I really don't like leavin' it in the garage while charging unless I'm there. Just opinion...

TEE

The Guest chargers have built-in circuitry to prevent over charging and incidents such as Tee described.

Leave it plugged in - they are designed for it.

I just don't trust anything electrical like that when it come to charging batteries.

Me...would Guest replace your garage if a faulty charger does catch fire? I'm afeard of stuff like that and just don't take chances like I used to. Better safe than sorry...

TEE

You guys are nuts. 25 degrees below zero? Im freezing here when it gets to 20 degrees. I guess I'll continue to put up with the heat in the summertime. At least I can fish most of winter.

WOULDN'T IT BE JUST AS EASY TO REMOVE THE BATTRIES AND STORE THEM IN YOUR GARAGE, TRICKLE CHARGE THEM 1/2 WAY THROUGHT THE WINTER AND HAVE NO PROBLEMS IN THE SPRING ???

WHY TAKE THE CHANCE OF HAVING THE CELLS IN YOUR BATTRIE BEING DAMAGED DO TO CHARGER MALFUNCTION OF THE GFI BREAKER TRIPPING.

JUST A THOUGHT.

I know how you feel, Tee.....

It's hard to trust sumpthin' you can't see.

Especially if you've ever seen "The Green Mile"!

Problem is that some of us have a week or 2 where you can't fish then 2 weeks where you can, then back into the freezer for a week or so. I leave mine hooked up all the time. Too much hassle to pull the batts. every time it gets too cold to fish. I do trust Guest to make a product that doesn't torch my boat.

TOXIC

YOu guys should consider coming to TX. Fish all year around and not worry about winter too much.

Tee,

I am of the mind that Guest will make a reliable charger that will not burn my boat down. The same can be said for anything electricail you have. Do people leave the charger plugged in for battery powered drills? Same sort of thing.

I leave mine plugged in al the time and make sure that it does not boil the batteries. I also ensure the batteries are topped off with distilled water.

Carlos

Tee,

The Guest chargers are manufactured using non-flammable materials. As a result, they will not support combustion.

I have a 2613 in my boat that is plugged in more than unplugged as I do not get to fish as often as I would like. The boat has been housed in my garage for the last 3 years, which is under the house. Am I concerned with a potential for a fire? Not at all.

Have a great day!

Sue D.

I have no trouble leaving my charger plugged in for a few weeks in between fishing trips. But during the winter I just bring the batteries in the house where they can stay nice and warm.

I have all the confidence in the world in my guest charges. I just don't see a reason to subject my batteries to those kind of climates, plugged in or not.

Marke

Marke,

Would not have to worry about THOSE kind of temps if you lived down here :-( HAHAHAHAH

Carlos

Carlos,

I lived in VA for 5 years when I was a kid. I LOVE the changing seasons, all 4 of them. Down south only has two seasons, hot and wicked freakn' HOT....LOL

I'll stay up North thank you :eek:)

Where the 2 seasons are cold.....and freakin cold!!!! Like Greg said, the same climate as Siberia only colder and with more wind!!LOL

TOXIC

I leave my batteries in the boat all winter. I disconnect everything but the charger and plug in in once a month for a few days. I also top off the water too. The only reason that I don't keep it plugged in all winter is that I run an extension cord from one garage to the "portable" garage where the boat is parked. Never know what might chew on the extension cord!!

Bob G.

Back