Lake Anna fishermen Explain to Me Please

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fatrap

Reaction score
You all that fish this Lake Anna how about an explaination. Where is Lake Anna,what's the layout and description and what is this cold side hot side stuff? Thanks

Mike Grandick

aka

fatrap

lake anna is a 13000 or so acre lake that has 2 nuclear reactors next to it, the lake is sectioned off by 3 dikes and on side of the lake is 10000 acres and the other is 3000. the water is drawn in from the large side to cool the reactors and then gets pumped or flows to the small side. the water than flows to the last dike and spills back into the large side once it has cooled off some. the hot side is private ( no public access) the only way to fish there is to get access from an owner like billy.

i have yet to meet up with billy, toxic and carlos over there yet but i sure i will see them there this winter.

mike

Thanks Mike

That explains one hell of a lot. Always wondering if those guys were talking in code or something.

Fatrap

To add what Mike has said, Lake Anna was originally designed to be the cooling water lagoon for the Anna Nuclear Power facility. No fears regarding safety as the Anna plant is the safest in the world. Water flowing out of the power plant can reach temperatures easily in the low 100's (it was 110 earlier this summer). As it travels from lagoon 1 to 2 to 3, it cools off considerably to where the water flowing through Dike 3 to the main body is no more than 1 or 2 degrees warmer than the other side. The "hot" side is often referred to as the "private" side because as Mike noted, access is only possible if you are a landowner on that side or a guest of one. The "cold" side or public side is accessible to any member of the public through a number of marinas and the state park. Here are some of those marinas if you ever want to get down there.

www.annapoint.com

www.highpointmarina.com

www.sturgeoncreekmarina.com

www.chistopherruncampground.com

I've been going down to the Lake for several years to boat and swim and hang with the family. Only really started fishing it this year. Don't believe the stories about the "dead sea." I've done fairly well down there. You may want to consider going with a guide. I hear Tox is supposed to be good!! For Stripers, Jim Hemby is great. He's got a link to his website at the Anna Point marina website listed above. Oh, and get a GMCO map of Lake Anna if you plan to go there. Its invaluable!

One last thing - if you do go there and need a fishing partner - ping me. I'm always looking for more fishing partners!

JC

Back