Keel Guard install?

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rob LaMoy

Reaction score
I know we discussed this before but here goes anyhow. I am ordering a Keel guard this month for my rig. Has anyone installed them personally? I can't justify spending $100 on labor for the shop to do it. I like to think of myself as pretty handy, (especially given my home repair escapades) but I have also heard it is pretty tough to get just right. NO I don't have the extra funds for a Tech 5 professionally installed. I have a lot to do to my rig this year and only so much $$$ to do it, so I am going to put the keel guard on myself. Anyone have any tips? I have heard that the rollers are pretty useless. Have also heard to try duct tape to hold it up while you get the tape or adhesive to grab properly.

i installed a hamby;s light duty on my fathers boat and plan to do mine this year. Getting the hull ready s the most important step make aure you sand it well so the guard will stick. i test fit the guard first and used masking tape to protect the areas i didnt want to sand. i also warmed up the guard in my truck with the floor heater on high to make it a little more pliable when i put it on. What kind are you going to buy? i highly recommend the hambys, they make a great product. the self install light duty is like 170 bucks.

I'm going with the "keelshield" and the install steps on the website are pretty self explanetory... and apparently thier warrenty covers it even if you screw it up... my kinda people!

http://www.keelshield.com/

i have installed 2 keel guards on different boats. it takes some time, but it isn't that hard. i used an orbital sander with 200 grit paper (i believe) to do my prep work. before you sand, TAPE the guard in place as best you can and mark the edges so you know where to sand. sand thoroughly so that the whole gel coat is dull looking. then get 2 CLEAN towels and clean the whole area with solvent. there are several recommendations on the directions and all are available at the hardware store. after you clean it 2 times each with a clean rag, you can apply the primer. shake it very well and apply. it doesn't go on thick, but you can see where you apply it fairly easily. now for the tricky part....remove about a foot of the CENTER piece of tape and center it on the hull as close to the saftey strap ring as possible. take you time and make sure it is centered and it will be easier down the line. if you mess up, it is EXTREMELY hard to back up and start over. DON'T ATTEMPT TO INSTALL IT UNLESS IT IS WARM OUTSIDE!!!!!!!!!!! if it is cold, you will NEVER get it on correctly. i think the pkg. recommends 50 degrees plus. i would recommend higher than that. the warmer it is, the easier the installation! i would DEFINITELY wait until summer unless i had a heated garage that i could heat to over 70 degrees or more.

if you have anymore questions, let me know or drop me an email. you can definitely do it yourself and save the $$$.

bryan

4th of July weekend Mac! LOL

Sim, I think the Keelshield looks like the right deal. I will get my garage good and toasty and put it on in April.

Once it's on, how long does it have to stay over 70? If I get er done and then turn off the heat, will it pop off if not given time to cure or adhere?

I have not installed mine yet, (havent even ordered it yet, as I have to work on it when the outside temps will be up consistently enough).

My guess is that it is almost instantaneous in the curing/adhering... the person I talked to about ordering it said to be very careful, because once you put it on, it stays. no "do overs"...

Make sure the hull temperature is atleast 70, not just the air temp.

Dave, check the site for info on Tin boats... most tin owners dont care about dings!

Back