just to stir the pot GM vs. Toyota

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brian Ingersoll

Reaction score
Got this E-mail and thought it was funny - nothing intended but a few laughs

A Modern Parable

A Japanese company ( Toyota ) and an American company (General Motors) decided to have a canoe race on the Missouri River . Both teams

practiced long and hard to reach their peak performance before the race.

On the big day, the Japanese won by a mile.

The Americans, very discouraged and depressed, decided to investigate the reason for the crushing defeat. A management team made up of

senior management was formed to investigate and recommend appropriate action.

Their conclusion was the Japanese had 8 people rowing and 1 person steering, while the American team had 8 people steering and 1 person rowing.

Feeling a deeper study was in order, American management hired a consulting company and paid them a large amount of money for a second opinion. They advised, of course, that too many people were

steering the boat, while not enough people were rowing.

Not sure of how to utilize that information, but wanting to prevent another loss to the Japanese, the rowing team's management structure was totally reorganized to 4 steering supervisors, 3 area steering superintendents and 1 assistant superintendent steering manager.

They also implemented a new performance system that would give the 1 person rowing the boat greater incentive to work harder. It was called

the 'Rowing Team Quality First Program,' with meetings, dinners and free pens for the rower. There was discussion of getting new paddles,

canoes and other equipment, extra vacation days for practices and bonuses.

The next year the Japanese won by two miles.

Humiliated, the American management laid off the rower for poor performance, halted development of a new canoe, sold the paddles, and canceled all capital investments for new equipment. The money

saved was distributed to the Senior Executives as bonuses and the next year's racing team was out-sourced to India Sadly, The End.

Sad, but oh so true! Here's something else to think about: Ford has spent the last thirty years moving all its factories out of the US, claiming they can't make money paying American wages. Toyota has spent the last thirty years building more than a dozen plants inside the US . The last quarter's results:

Toyota makes 4 billion in profits while Ford racked up 9 billion in losses. Ford folks are still scratching their heads.

IF THIS WASN'T SO SAD IT MIGHT BE FUNNY!

Ford moved their factories out of the US? Where are the folks really going who get up every morning and think they're heading to the Fairfax Plant in KC?

Amusing story though.

And my Ford:) truck was built in that plant and it is fantastic!

My Ford truck [redundant-:lol:] built there as well, same great results.

And aren't the Japanese auto-workers just stiffing their native employees back home?

Let's not get overly enthusiastic here guys. There is no more "them" or "us" it's just cars and trucks.

I spent 23 years with production equipment, a week a month in Mexico. I can take you to the GM plant assembling your Tahoe/suburban/silverado. The Dodge plant building your SUV and Truck, the Ford plant building your car and truck. Also a Nissan plant, Toyota, Honda, and volkswagen.

Hundreds of parts manufacturing, yes including your Mercury outboard, and countless consumer appliances.

And then let's visit the Toyota plant in San Antonio...or Nissan in Tennessee, or BMW in Alabama...it's just cars and your ONLY obligation is to your own pocketbook.

Any company who might have the gall to think we "owe" them business deserves to get plowed under and buried. Period.

I agree somewhat Pat. You dont owe it to the company though. You might owe it to your family, friends and neighbors....quite possibly your country (at least in my neighborhood).

Saaaaaalute!

I'd rather push my GM than....well, maybe not:lol:

Dont push, its easier to pull....with a GMC! lol

I guess I might have been a little more clear.

My point is, you can rarely buy anything "american" anymore. A good portion of just about anything bought today is actually manufactured somewhere else.

This can go way deeper, but I'll shut up.

I have tons of jokes for this but I will pass. The thought vs the truth (American brand vs Amreican made) right wrong or other wise, I prefer my Fords, you can take your nissian, toyota,kia,vw,bmw and what ever you drive and keep them. I don't think there is a brand in the U.S that I have not worked on. Remeber December 7th 1941 and think about that when you buy your next car or truck.

BF

I understand the outsourcing part and they all do it but, I'm still a die hard GM man just because;)

Understood Pat.

Good point Bruce.

Mini

Mike - Mazda is owned partialy by Ford so its a joint venture. You find Mazda designed built motors in Fords, and vice versa. Of course if you buy a Saab, unles its the Sabaru's, you are getting a GM (Saab 9-7 is a badge engineered Trailblazer). I guess from my side, its more about how the company does business in the US not about where the corp. headquarters are. Like GM partnering with China building and selling HUGE amounts of vehicles in China. IF the Chinese said "we don't buy anything that doesn't 100% bring profits back to China, then GM would be out of a huge market.

If it was 1940-50's it was a very different story, but having now the last year travelled around the world a few times (literaly and figuratively) its all about buliding global aliances, geting the largest profit and quality product where you can, and that means changing vendors/sourcing/manufacturing/parts on a regular basis. Just look at the amount 100's of MILLIONS the Korean, German and Japanese have invested in US plants, design studios and such, and we (US companies) are doing the same in their countries.

Thats not to say i'm for open borders (nope, politicaly incorrect as it is I say physicaly ship ever illegal alien back to its home country, lock the borders and follow the existing laws), and a LARGE issue in our price/quality/outsourcing from the US is our tax laws and old-style unions.

Off my soap box.

Trep

I only said that cuz my brother is the Finance manager for the one of the largest Ford dealership in PA, we had discussions b4 about the foreign parts/components, and I was suprised at what he told me

I have had 3 fords,,,all sucked.. I have a 2002 chevy avalanche, Greatest vechile i have ever been in. Does it all. my vote goes to :DGM

Here's what you Toyota guys will be doing soon!:lol:

411d9091.jpg

Disclaimer: This is a joke! Ha Ha Ha!

Back