ISO F&S (emphasis on "F")!

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim in VA

Reaction score
Hey guys/gals:

Thanks to the great advice from this list, I've realized that trying to up-power my PT175 is not a good idea (too $$$ for return). And, after much discussion with the boss, it looks like we're in the market for a F&S. We've seen the Triton SF211 and the Nitro 288 and really like the layout of both. Seems that the major bass boat manufacturers are putting out F&S's that are primarily fishing rigs with some additional family-friendly amenities and the ability to do some tube/ski pulling. Good thing as I like the fishing versatility of a largish front deck!

So if any NTOWS members know of a good F&S about 20' - 21' in size, with a front casting deck, rod storage and decent HP (learned my lesson to max out HP!), let me know. At this point, our budget seems to be the biggest limiting factor (we've only got about $15K more or less to spend). The Triton we saw (new leftover 2006) was WAY out of our price range ($41,500). Probably could go higher if I can a decent price for the 2002 PT175, but I'm not counting on that right now.

We will be checking out a lead from Hutch (thanks Hutch!) in a couple of weekends, but the boat is more a ski rig that fishing rig. So I'm open to other options out there!

Thanks all in advance!!

Much like you said. Make durn sure, it fit's your fishing style/needs, or you won't be happy.

Best of luck in your search.

Tex

Realistically how much are you going to fish? And how much are you going to ski?

You can ski just as well from a bass boat, but you cant fish just as well from a fish and ski.....

I say get a bass boat, and add the stuff you need to ski with it. Rod storage on MOST F&S's stink.....

Mini

Amen to what Mini said...as i went with the F/S a few years back because of the wife. I have been mad @ here ever since...well until she let me get the 929...i ain't mad any more. Think hard about it Jim for i bet u will fish lots more than ski and a F/S ain't got squat for storage in it.

RW

Think hard about this Jim...Mini is right the F/S has no storage for rods and such...i know from experience. Got a 929 now and could not believe the storage and it pulls the occasional skier just fine.

RW

Thanks for the feedback guys. A bassboat would be easier to both find and use! The problem is "the boss" likes the wraparound windshield on F&S's. I may be able to convince her that a dual console bassboat would do the trick just as well, but then there's alwasy the tricky part of her wanting to take friends with us as well. Seems that the F&S's by the major bassboat manufacturers would be a decent compromise - trick is to find a used one in my price range!! Keep the feedback and leads coming. Its all GREATLY appreciated!

Jim,

You are more then welcome to try mine out with the dual console.....you will really like that!!!!

Take her for a ride and see if she likes it!

Let me know when you want to borrow it, ok?

What the heck are you doing up William????? I have an excuse!!! Your back bothering you again?

Jim, we have been out on the boat, but lets plan a trip maybe out of Aquia sometime, ok?

Jim - Lot's of good advice about what to get. I am not trying to go against the guys here on the board but I think I know Irene well enough to know that she won't be happy unless you get the F&S. Like you mentioned to me you will keep the tin rig so you will have the fishin' boat also. Keep her happy and then you can fish whenever you want. Good luck with your decision (or hers!) LOL

Jim - An other option I looked at hard before I bought Rich's Nitro was a walleye style boat, with a wrap around windshield like a Targa 18 (Tex had one before his Stratos), they also make those Targa in fish/ski models with bench seat that fold down for a larger rear deck.

It is a compromise, I eventualy went the dual console route 2 years ago primarily because Beka begrudgingly admitted she would realy only go out 2-3 times a year, vs my every weekend use. So when she wants to go out and if she wants to bring a friend or 2 we can rent a pontoon/ski boat or go with friends.

Trep

Thanks guys! Esp. Hutch and C for the offers!! Still wish I had jumped on Hutch's old 911 sooner, but timing just wasn't right. At the end of the day, Bill in VA is right, though. A BIG consideration is making the missus happy. Irene will be going out frequently, rather than sitting in the house looking at the water! So while a bassboat would be my ideal, harmony in the family is big.

Sell the tin, get a pontoon AND a bass boat.

Or look at walleye boats as stated. Wrap around windsheild and the ability to seat more than 3....

Mini

Jim, I have a Triton FS19 and I really like it. They don't make this particular model anymore but the Triton SF19 is about the same thing. I probably use it 75% fishing and 25% tubing. I personally love the windshield and having a back seat. The front deck is big enough to fish from and the back deck works but doesn't have near the room as a bass boat. You gotta give somewhere. I have yet to find a place that I can't go that a glass bass boat can. I don't ever find myself wishing I had a bass boat but I do think about upgrading to a 21 foot SF. The rod storage is lacking but I don't keep much gear in my boat because I keep it on a lift at a marina so I worry about theft and take most stuff with me. When I had the a Nitro 188 SF I keep it in my garage. I just took one of the pop out seats out and used that for a place to put my rods. Your budget is pretty to close to what I would sell my boat for. Too bad you don't live closer! :D Good luck with your search and if you are a weekend fisherman and you want to take friends out, I think you will be happy with a fish and ski. Just make sure you upgrade the trolling motor that comes with it.

Jim, If you decide you want Teri's boat just give me the cash and I will go to Nashville and pick it up for you. I am ready for another road trip and I bet I could double your money on one of the riverboats between here and there........:lol:

BF

Dude get what you want or you will be unhappy. You will be the one in it 95% of the time . Just get the bassboat the wife will forget about it the first time out.....joe

Love my FS has plenty of rod storage, and I can keep up with all the bassboats as far as speed, and can haul 7 people too

Hi Jim

I've had a 188 Sport for 6 years. To be honest, it's not bad for fishing but a bass boat is great for fishing. When I'm using it for fishing I am always thinking about how much better it would be to have a pure bass boat ... more storage, no windshield in the way, etc. I have a young family so it serves both purposes for now. As soon as they are on their own which is a long time from now, a bass boat will be my first purchase.

Paul

My best advice is to be very careful and look at everything that is available... evebything. Look at Rangers new Angler Series of boats to see a fresh approach to the fish and ski idea.

Back