Is Turtle Wax OK for my Nitro?

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jay K

Reaction score
I just got some turtle wax and before I put it on, I wanted to make sure it's not going to hurt the clearcoat. It's the super hard shell style in the small canister with the applicating cloth in the cap.

Thanks!

I was told by a boat repair guy,yes.He said he uses it all the time.I use the liquid.I'd be careful around the stickers and plastic though.I'm sure there are reasons to use specific marine waxes and polishes sometimes though.

Marine wax is much better. Try a product called Bass Boat Saver. Spray on application, cleaner and wax, works on your seats and dash, and most importantly has UV inhibitors which most of the car waxes don't have and you need. Great product, you'll get hooked on it if you try it.

TOXIC

Thanks guys! I"m going to pick up some Bass Boat Saver, but in the meantime I'm going to put a coat of the turtle wax on.

Thanks!!

Ditto on the BBS. Unbelievable stuff. Easy to do and buffs up real nice.

X3 on the BBS. Awesome stuff. I use it on every trip as a quick wipe down after I pull it out of the water.

Once every six months (or sooner if I feel it needs it), I will use Mequiars Flagship wax (made for boats) and give it a good waxing. Mine needs it right now. The white gelcoat was looking a little dull the other day, so I'll probably wax it up this weekend.

All the best,

Glenn

I like the BBS too, i use it every time i pull it from the water to clean up the boat and it works well.

That being said and i know this is not the popular opinion. Bass Boat Saver does not replace waxing the boat. From what i have seen it fails as a primary source of UV protection. I know a few people who have used nothing but BBS on thier boats and every one of them begining to oxidize. A guy in my club swore by the stuff and bought it by the gallon to use on his new Ranger when he got it a few years back. Now his 3 year old garage kept $50k boat is showing signs of being oxidized on the top cap and on the consoles. The guy babies tht boat and wont even trailer it without the cover on it. The only time its in the sun is when its in use. My 8 year old boat was in much better condition then his is now when i traded it in and mine is outside kept. The only difference is i use wax as well as BBS.

BBS is great stuff! I dont think it will take the place of a good waxing though.

Turtle Wax is perfect for a boat. It has UV protection built in (as almost every wax, marine or auto does).

I dont buy specific marine wax....i use and have always used auto wax.

One tip, DO NOT WAX THE BOTTOM OF THE BOAT. You can wax below the rubrail on the sides, but not the bottom. It will actually dampen your speed. It isnt much, but with the cost of gas these days there is no reason to add friction to your hull.

Typically I only wax above the rubrail and only once a year (spring). I maintain it with BassBoat Saver. If I lived further south I would wax more. Our sun isnt nearly as hot.

I use Meguires wax in the spring and in the fall. When I pull the boat out I spray it down with detailer and wipe with a micro fiber cloth and then light buff it out with a second micro fiber. The boat looks great and cuts the number of times I have to wash it down each season.

You will love BBS. Awesome product.

Back