Is Silicon harmful to fish?

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tim m

Reaction score
I am doing some work on my livewell,adding a pump out and an aerator system.I read somewhere that reg silicon even when cured can kill fish in the livewell,aqurium silicon will not..I have already done my work and have a big tourny coming up soon...What are your thoughts or past exp,s?

Yes,

"Regular" Silicone can and will give off a harmful chemical to the water, and may cause your fish to die either in the livewell, or after you release them from the toxins they absorb while in your livewell. The best thing to use in a livewell is 3M 5200. Don't use automotive sealant, as it contains those chemicals.

All the best,

Glenn

I would use silicone made for an aquarium. I have in teh past and it has worked great. You should be able to find it pretty easily at any pet store that sells fish. They make it in a tube size that fits a gun too.

Better get the right silicone. You don't want those fish getting big hooters from being in your livewell.

fatrap

That sounds like a future Scales and Tales.:)

Gene

I have already sealed everything in with reg type silicon.Do i need to tear it all apart and clean it up and re seal with the aquarium stuff?What do you suggest i clean up with?

It doesn't seem to hurt 90% of the hollywood starletts. :D:lol:

I am glad i could bring some humor out seeing how we as a nation are going thru some very hard times right now.I went to Wally World and got some aquarium silicon(a milder saeleen solution) and will be tearing it all down and re doing it...Thanks for your help

Back