insurance question. Any reccomendations?

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim B

Reaction score
Im really in an insurance pickle. My old company that i liked very much has decided to stop insuring in Mass. My agent is in the process of switching everything over to travellers ins co. that would be fine by me because we do a payroll deduction at work and its nice and easy but travellers has said they will not insure my boat since its "high performance". I personally think its a bunch of bull but i guess they dont want my business( i want to move my truck too). I have heard good things about state farm and progressive but they dont insure in my state :(. Any suggestions? I got a quote from anglers advantage. Anybody use them? good bad?

If progressive does not insure in your state, try BOATUS. I had them for many years but just switched to progressive.. They have good coverage but there rates where a bit higher this year so I made the move...

Try going through your homeowners or call an "Independant" agent who deals with several co's. I go through an Independant agent in MI. and he got the best rate for me through "AutoOwner's Ins. Co." I pay $400/yr for full replacement coverage on my boat, and that's with a $200 ded. on the boat,....$100 on the motor and zero on the trailer.

It pays to shop around....Progressive was way outa line for me.....almost $200/yr MORE!!

(somebody's gotta pay for Hank and Jimmy driving into rocks!!!..LOL)

Mac

Hey Jim,

When I got my boat last year, I wanted to go with Metropolitan but they didn't insure bass boats in Massachusetts so I went through Boat US. It is a little higher than what I saw others were paying in other states but seemed like the only option last year. I just saw a commercial for Metropolitan saying they insure boats now in Massachusetts and have been meaning to follow-up with them as my life, home, car and motorcycle are insured through them and I like their customer service department.

Try contacting them. Also - don't forget to send me an email about the directions for the ramp and town hall for the water you were fishing on several weeks ago.

Thanks, Bill, The Mad Kayaker

Check with www.amica.com. They're good, but they wouldn't insure my new (used) boat because of a claim on the last one. They have our homeowners and auto. They also may not insure in your state, but it's worth a shot. They're very highly rated, just don't advertise much.

usaa, it was 1/3 of what everybody else wanted if you can, i would also try the company that does your home loan. some of my friends got pretty good discounts,

mike

I go through anglers advantage, but I can't tell you anything other than their prices were good and they are very easy to get set up with. I haven't had to deal with a claim.

Jim, In Mass and NH I use Liberty Mutual to insure my boat, house and vehicles. I shop my insurance with 3 different companies every year and they come out on top every time.

Cass

Angler's Advantage is the only way to go if you do any tournaments... Interesting, if they did not classify you as a "high performance" boat I wonder why the other co did... Angler's Advantage won't do Gamblers, Bullets, etc... Angler's Advantage has customizeable coverage and stated value for tackle and an available "inland marine" coverage for you tackle out of the boat... Talk to them thoroughly, they have great coverage... And, Progressive is a definite "stay away" if you can,based on claims reputation in my opinion.

Good Luck

Back