I'M ON FIRE!

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David Munaretto

Reaction score
I was out at a tournament this weekend, and after a great day of prefishing on saturday, we struggled sunday. About noon, we head to a nice froggin spot and start to duke it out with a couple of other territorial tournament guys.... anyways decided to move on rather than get in a pi88ing match.

I'm on the trolling motor and i look down, and I say quite loudly "I'M ON FIRE!"

My buddy looks over from the back of the boat and says "dude, we only got one fish in the well".

"NO.... I'm on fire!!! I say, pointing down at the trolling motor.

THEN he sees the smoke coming off my trolling motor plug- and smells that acrid smell of an electrical fire.

Needless to say, I yanked the plug on it, and after letting it cool out I tore the thing apart by removing the screws. The wire was literally like gel about 3 inches up, totally melted, and both wires exposed - the internals of the plug were like a 3rd degree burn - charred black.

I ended up having to pull out my MacGyver stow away... You know the one that has a swiss army knife with 172 utilities, and a role of electrical tape in it.... I pulled off the bow dash and sliced the wires to the tm receptacle. Then I hot wired it together with the electrical tape and prayed that it didn't melt through that.

We managed to get back into business, and got another keeper - 3.6 pounds... we weighed 6.66 for the day on 2 fish, and there were some snickers about 6.66 and fire from my buddies.

So what kind of sorry boats do you and Andy Z have that catch fire?

The trolling motor was not manufactured by Nitro, it was manufactured by Minn Kota.

Back