I finally did it!

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rich Stern

Reaction score
It took me 12 years of boating to join the club: I finally launched without the drain plug. Well, not exactly. To be specific, I put the drain plug in the livewell intake.

Thankfully, Jeanne was fishing our cove when she realized she was taking on water. She quickly beached the boat. I was sure I had put the drain plug in. Figured it was a busted fitting. Looked over the transom...saw the drainplug in. Few more minutes of headscratching, water coming over the transom, decided to get in the water and check more carefully. Sure enough...wrong hole.

Embarrassing!

:blink: Been there, done dat! Welcome to the club, it's a big one......:lol::lol::lol:

I won't even TOUCH the "Sure enough...wrong hole."!!!! :lol::lol:

OK so whats the water temp in Lanier this weekend Rich, Toona is about 70, so not too bad for a swim to fix the plug!!

So did the bildge pump work?? LOL

Welcome to the club! Sometimes I wonder about that, every time I lower the boat into the water at the dock - wondering if someone has potentially 'removed mine' from the lakeside.

Tex

Did it with my old boat. I took my 3 year old granddaughter to the lake for a ride, backed the boat in and while I was getting her life vest on I noticed we were taking on water, a lot of it. Luckily, it was still on the trailer. Now, only when I am washing it out do I remove the plug and put it back right away.

Big club all right, but how many of us have sent our wives out and "forgot" to put in the plug? :lol::wacko::lol::wacko::lol:

Been there done that and I'm with Trep about touching the "wrong hole" statement.

fatrap

I did it this past winter....just ran the bilge pumps all day was all. On every 5 minutes or so. At least you had good weather to get into the water!

Carlos, do you have one of those plastic plugs that stays in the hole, even when not screwed in? Those do a pretty good job of keeping the water flow to a minimum, as the exterior water pressure pushes the plug in and partially obscures the hole.

I have one of those rubber, expanding plugs. When it's out, it's out. 3/4" hole in the hull. The water comes in quick!

Trep, this was on Hartwell. Water was chilly, but just for a moment or two. Maybe 68 degrees or so. And, yeah, the bilge pump worked. It's a 500 gph mayfair, so it doesn't get the water out real quick, but wants the boat started to rise, I stopped worrying about it.

My initiation into the club cost me a digital camera, but it taught me which storage compartments are watertight!

I have NEVER done that! The plug may have fallen out do to it being faulty but I have never forgotten to put it in;)

I think we have all done it at one time or another, or will do it at some time in the future. Some folks have done it more than once, twice, thrice, etc.

We have a guy in out club that has lauched without the plug so many times, we now affectionitely call hum " WRONG HOLE LEROY".;)

RoyC

Back