how to polish a prop ?

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Hutchison

Reaction score
does anyone know how to polish a prop with out sending it to the shop ? mine is not shinny at all and has surface rust spots the size of a dime.

Thanks

Geeeez Hutch - A new boat with rust spots on the prop! Just go buy a new prop. LOL

Hey - You comon' down this weekend and get that boat wet????? Passes are still under the front mat!

I would take it to the prop shop. They can true it up and polish it up...it'll look like new. If you want to DIY and you don't have a buffing wheel I would say a buffing wheel on either a drill motor or a Dremel tool and some polishing compound would make it shine like a new dime. You might have to hit the rusty spots with some steel wool and penetrating oil.

Harpo

my road is a one lane road and when they plowed I have 4 ft walls of snow I have to dig out to swing it out of the driveway but I will let you know before friday if I will be down want to ride along ? Thanks Bill

Hutch

Hutch, you need some type of power buffing wheel. Ideally, if you have a a benchtop grinder, you can mount a stitched buffing wheel on it. Take off one of the standard stone wheels and replace it with a stitched cotton buffing wheel. Home Depot carries Ryobi buffing wheels that will work on a benchtop grinder. Harbor Freight has a line of buffing wheels, too. Both sell adapters to mount them on a drill press or power hand drill.

Then you need some stainless polishing compound. You apply the compound to the wheel and then apply the prop to the buffing wheel (or the wheel to prop).

Because of the shape of the prop, it won't be the easiest thing in the world to polish. Get the biggest buffing wheel you can. And make sure you hold on tight. Buffing wheels can "grab" and throw objects. You might want to practice on a piece of scrap metal to get a feel for the buffing wheel before attempting the prop.

One other alternative: You can polish by hand using some chrome/stainless liquid polish, found at the local automotive store on the wax and rubbing compound shelf. Lots of elbow grease required, and won't polish up as high as a power buffer, but should still be a big improvement.

If the surface rust is tough to remove, you can try hand rubbing it with some #000 or #0000 steel wool and a bit of household machine oil. Don't use steel wool from under the kitchen sink. Too course. Will scratch the finish. The finer steel wool is usually found in the paint department at hardware stores, or sometimes with the sandpaper selection. Walmart carries it.

You should be able to clean it off using that blue chrome wheel cleaner and a rag. I can't remember the name but it comes in a tube. Should be able to get it at Wal Mart. One of those buffing balls that Chip Foose hawks works very nicely. I rate this very low as to Putz Factor and have no problems doing this myself.

Cleaning the prop while running is not a recommended substitute for a buffing wheel! :wacko:

I would not recommend using a bench grinder and a stainless prop in the same sentence let alone together on a project....."grab" is an understatement....

Let the professionals do it, or just use a good compound and some elbow grease.

Mini

Large buffing wheel and bench motor ususlly 3400 rpm can hurt you , use the mother's ball and polish in drill

I have a lil' experience with bench polishers and they can hurt you bad if you have no experience. It could make a mangled wad of steel or worse if it grabs an edge.

I polished a 40" brass eagle this past summer that goes on the front of my house and even with experience, there was a couple of harry moments:blink:

I use BPS metal polish about twice a year on my prop to keep it looking new.

Of course I can use a small wire brush on my prop because it's brushed stainless.

All things considered, I think the Mothers Ball and SS polish sound like the best plan.

Harpo

Back