How to fish a Chatterbait

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Teri C.

Reaction score
I used a Chatterbait for the first time last night. You can't find them around here but I picked up a few while I was in Nebraska a few weeks ago. I did a search on the site and there has been posts about them but not exactly how you fish them.

I was tossing it to the bank around rocks and grass and reeling it back fairly fast and that didn't seem to work. I started tossing it and letting it drop for a few seconds and then reeling it very slow. I caught a few bass with the slow retrieve. I also tried fishing it like a jig and didn't have any luck.

I caught 3 bass with it last night which isn't bad. Just wondered how other people fish these.

Exactly like you were when you caught the 3 bass. :)

Teri: My experience is confusing like yours. I have to burn it to get it to dart and twitch, but fish seem totally disinterested. A slow steady retrieve catches fish. Nada on the raise and drop.

I've done well throwing it into the grass and fishing it like a swimming jig.

My best results with the bait have come using two methods:

1. Cast with slow retreive and drop, slow retrieve and drop. Hits have typically come on the drop.

2. Cast into cover and pull it back out with a moderate retrieve (i.e., enough to feel the vibration from the lure). Typically, the hits have come as it rounds a corner (makes sense as bass are ambush predators).

Teri, I've done my best with the yo-yo retrieve, having the fish smack it on the fall. Caught schooling fish on it while fishing it about 2 -3 feet down and later in the day when the sun pushed the fish down, I just fished it slower and deeper and continued to catch fish on the yo-yo retrieve. Good luck.

Jim

Back