How I Spent My Summer Vacation

• Thread starter Mark Hofman [IMG]http://www.stlhofman.com/cabin.jp
  • Start date
Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark Hofman

Reaction score
Thought you guys might like to see what we worked on up in Alaska.

This is a photo of the cabin my sister and her husband are attempting to build in the hills near Montana Creek, up by Talkeetna. The original design was for a 16'x20' cabin with two lofts. But because the roads and trails getting into the property were so bad, they shrunk it to 12'x16' with one loft overhanging an 8-foot deck.

We hauled all of the materials in on an F-350 quad cab 4x4 equipped with a 3600-lb contractor's rack. Then we transferred the materials to a trailer towed by a Polaris 4-wheeler for the final leg into the property.

The foundation is a series of 6"x6" posts, set in concrete. Three 4"x8"x16-foot treated timber beams were set on top of the posts using leveling jacks (we pre-leveled the posts using a laser level, a tri-square and a chainsaw). When the beams were in place, we only had to adjust one jack about 1/16th of an inch to get the thing completely level. Then the floor joists and headers were set, squared and covered with sheets of tongue and groove plywood.

The deck and the end walls went up next. We used a Honda generator to run a circular saw and a drill. Those were our only electric power tools. With the end walls up and secured, Rachel and I flew back to St. Louis. My dad helped get the side walls and the two loft "kicker" walls up. That's as far as they got when this photo was taken. Besides putting up the plywood on the exterior walls, they have to cut and install the rafters. The roof will peak out at seventeen feet above the main floor. Then they'll cover it with roofing paper and a metal roof so that the snow can slide off easily. The exterior will get a rustic lapped-board siding. The interior will be paneling, and the whole thing will be insulated so that their cast-iron stove can be used to heat the cabin in the winter.

This was a kick in the pants project. My sister and her husband want to do a do-it-yourself webpage showing how this whole project was done and I've volunteered to help.
cabin.jpg

Oh, yeah....the tool shed on the side was pre-fabbed in their driveway and assembled on site first. That gave us a place to store tools, camping gear, the generator and other stuff we didn't want to drag back and forth between Anchorage and the site.

That is awsome....I don't know about Alaska,maybe on the bank of a lake in a warm state.But awsome none the less.

I'm glad my sister doesn't like the cold.That job would cost her ALOT of beer.LOL

Steve

Really interesting Mo. Be sure and post the web page when it gets ready. It would be interesting to see how things go.

WOW,

Can you imagine the frustration when you realize the screws you brought are two short! What a trip to the hardware store...LOL

Even my simplest projects require a minimum of 3 trips to the hardware store. They must have to do some really careful planning....

Wolf

It's great to see a family with that much group dedication to a project or an idea. You people set an incredible example with a beautiful cabin in a pristine setting! God bless you all in your endeavor!

Wolf - you hit the "nail" on the head! Logistics were the biggest challenge. The only thing we didn't bring along enough of were 2x4's to use as braces. We made due. On the last day, about four hours before we headed out of the site, we ran out of drinkable water.

It was 89 miles from Anchorage to the gravel road at Montana Creek, and took an hour and 20 minutes minutes to drive. The rest of the road was 15 miles and took an hour to drive.

Thanks, Dan. It wasn't always this way. I guess time teaches you to appreciate your family, especially when they live too far away to visit regularly.

Latest posts

Back