High Volts

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tom G.

Reaction score
I have a 1986 Tracker TX17 w/ Mariner 50hp. My voltage from the motor at WOT is running between 17.5v and 18.6v. At idle I get 13.5-14.6. What is happening is at WOT my locator is shutting down because of the high voltage. When I come back to idle the locator works fine. Anyone ever run across a problem like this. Thanks for any input.

TOM:

SOUNDS LIKE THE RECTIFIER IS ON IT'S WAY OUT. I'M NOT SURE IF THE 50 HP HAS A REGULATOR OR NOT. ONE OF THE FIRST THINGS THAT USUALLY INDICATE THE RECTIFIER IS THE TACH STARTS JUMPING OR FAILS TO WORK AT ALL. HAD THE SAME PROBLEM ON MY 90 HP EVINRUDE AND I CHANGED THE RECTIFIER AND THAT SEEMED TO SOLVE THE PROBLEM. I'M NOT FAMILIAR WITH THE 86 MERC. 50, BUT IT'S A PLACE TO START. YOU MIGHT WANT TO LOOK IN A MANUAL FOR THE PROBLEM UNDER TROUBLE SHOOTING OR TALK TO YOUR MECHANIC.

MIKE

I had the same thing on my 2000 PT185 and it was a bad VM. I was able to check the Votage with my Fish Finder to confirm that the battery/charging system was OK. Replaced the VM and it's been fine since. - Bill

Tom - Misread your post. My problem was obviously different since the only indication I had was the high reading on my VM. - Bill

Thanks guys for the help. I live 40 miles from nowhere, and the nearest OB mechanic values his time to much to help answer a few questions. There is no indication the rectifier is bad. The system is charging 14v at idle, the tach works 4.0 at all ranges. It's just at WOT that the finder dumps with a high voltage detected warning. I'd hate to go out and find a rectifier and find thats not the problem. I know they ain't cheap.

Tom,

Not an outboard motor mechanic but I have dealt with depth sounders showing a high-voltage message or shutting off due to a high-voltage spike. First off; I

Thanks Greg. The finder happen to be a Wide Portrait. How do you reset these, and where can I get a voltage filter?

Back