Hey Trep

• Thread starter Jim B [URL]http://www.massbassbuddies.org/bearings
  • Start date
Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jim - Just got back from MD and swamped at work today, will print out and take a look later today.

You used "insure" rather than "ensure".

I'd suggest mentioning using a "double-lipped seal", and that when removing the seal to clean the outside edge so you don't poke the awl where the numbers are that you may need for a replacement seal.

I've also heard (though no expert) NOT to spin a bearing that has no lube in it (where you suggested to check for smoothness). I've been told that it wrecks the bearing (don't ask me how...).

I'd also suggest putting in there to hit the zerk fitting until grease comes out on that style hub, just to remove any air pockets.

That's my unrequested feedback :).

Jim other then what Snowman said, my only question is you state at the top "does not cover bearing or race replacement" but wouldn't the only difference be buying the new ones? The installation process of putting them back together is the same right?

Yes Trep, but he doesn't have pics of how to drive the races out or put them back in (which can be an art).

Snowman is right, installing races is not an easy job to do, you either have to drive them out and drive new ones in with a brass drift or use a press to install them.

Snowman, to answer your questions. Ill fix the typo,thanks for catching it. As far as the seals go the seals i got were from UFP (the hub maker) so i got whatever they suggest for thier product, i will add something about getting the correct seals or the numbers off the old ones. Btw spinning the bearing dry in your hands will not damage it in any way whatsoever. there is no load on it and your not spinning it at high rpm or anything for an extended period. The bearings are made from some very hard steel and it would take a lot more then spinning in your hand to even remotely damage it. just to be sure i checked with my father who has been a machinist/metalurgist for 30 years and he said there is no possible way you could damage it that way.

Thanks for the feedback guys, ill make some corrections and additions on the seals and clairifation on the races.

Thanks Jim... I never understood it, but the shop I worked at when I was 16 told me NEVER to spin even one of the little bearings or wheels or whatever in there without grease. It didn't make sense, but I'm a geek, not a mechanic, so I had to go with the "expert". :)

Back