Help needed with tv's.

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gilbert Scales2

Reaction score
I know nothing about electronics. My son saw an ad for a Panasonic 56" 1080p rear projection LCD HDTV 55.6". What does all the #'s mean??? Is this set any good??? The sale price is $996.99. Any help appreciated. He want a new set for his house, just starting out, not alot of funds.

Bubby:)

Crutchfield has a lot of good information if you want to read up on it. I did a lot of research before I purchased mine and they are a good source.

Link below

http://www.crutchfieldadvisor.com/learningcenter/home/tv_flatpanel.html

Bubby,

another good site is "THE HD GURU.COM"

LCD rear projection is ok, i have a sony 52" LCD RP. quality in HD is good. regular def is poor at best.I also have a 32" Soney Bravia 4. low def is very good and HD is top quality.

tell him not to get caught up in size. Picture quality is what he should be looking at. there are a lot of TVs out there today. tell him to do his research before dropping $1000.00 or more.

you should also be aware that the your cable or satilite provider can not deliver 1080P.

Blue Ray Disk/XBOX/Sony Play Station3 are the only devices that can provide a full 1090p resolution. so unless he is gamer or plans on spending $500.00 on a blue ray player, he should understand the lingo before he buys.

lastly, the price on the sticker is not the real price of the TV, all of the big department stores will try to beat each other.

GregD

I just bought that same TV today from Best Buy. Won't pick it up until Wednesday. If he is looking at the one from Best Buy on-line ($996.97) I did a fair amount of research and it gets very good overall ratings/reviews from real people; there was one so called "expert" review that didn't toot it's whistle but I chaulk that up to snobiness!! They had an in-store model and I thought the picture was as good as any of the other rear projection sets they had displayed. Tell your son to do a little research and stay in budget.

"Just starting out."

"Not a lot of funds."

$1000 TV?

The help he needs is not whether or not it is a good set, but whether or not he needs a $1000 TV.

marty said it right....

but if you are going to buy, get 1080p with the best picture quality and fastest speed.

sure only blueray and ps3/xbox can take advantage of it NOW, but in the next 12-24 months.....you will NEED it.

Marty, I didn't explain myself on that one. I meant starting out buying the big screens. He doesn't want to spend a bundle right now.

Bubby

Latest posts

Back