HELP!!!!!!!!!! GOLF HELP NEEDED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BJ Laster

Reaction score
OK OK OK OK...BREATH IN BREATH OUT.....HELP PLEASE!!!!!!!!!

A BUDDY OF MINE JUST CALLED....OUR CHURCH IS HAVING A GOLF TOURNY SATURDAY...I HAVE NEVER EVER PLAYED GOLF BEFORE!!!!!!!

WHAT DO I DO....I HAVE TO PLAY BUT.....HOW!!!!!!!!!!!

HE SAID THAT HE WOULD TEACH ME AS WE GO....HMMM.

HERES THE THING....LAST YEAR THEY HAD A COUPLE OF NEW GOLFERS AND THEY GOT THEM THROUGH....I'M SURE I'LL BE FINE...PLEASE BE ENCOURAGING....

I'VE BEEN WANTING TO LEARN AND MY MOM IS LOOKING INTO GETTING ME LESSONS FOR LATER THIS MONTH BUT A TOURNY???

Keep your head down and your eye on the ball. Have fun. Ask your friend to take you to a driving range tomorrow to loosen your swing. Have fun. Swing smooth, not hard. Have fun.

Rich D

We both play football and we have weightlifting friday morning. i think we may try to get out and swing a little after lifting...wow thats going to be fun...we can't feel our arms or legs after lifting...lol

dont forget the handy dandy ball retriver pat...I always carry one.

T.S.

Do not try to overswing. Just grip the club securely, and swing easy and naturally. Don't worry about distance. Play the old man's game. Not very long, but down the middle.

You can refine/learn more later in your lessons.

Relax and have a good time. Take plenty of golf balls. If you are really in danger of losing too many golf balls, go around the hazard.

Tex

What was it in "Caddy Shack" KEEP YOUR EYE ON THE BALL; KEEP YOUR EYE ON THE BALL:

James, I think it was "BEEEE THE BALL...BEEEEEEE THE BALL"

BJ, I know this sounds a little goofy and won't help you at all with your swing but I think it would help you understanding of the game. Go rent or buy one of the golf computer or Nentendo games. They are very realstic and will teach you the basics of how the game is played. Just a thought.

Harpo

BJ, I have never shot a round of golf in my life, but when life just gets to be too much, I've headed to the driving range a few times and just beat the crap out of that ball. It's like casting. The harder you swing, the more "backlash" you get and less distance. I have a mighty fine hookshot :)

Harpo...GREAT IDEA!!!!! i'll stop by blockbuster afterwork....

Thanks everyone!

BJ

I hope you don't turn out like me.

It takes a lot of balls to play golf the way I do....BAAAWAaaaHaaaaHaaaa.

Don't try to kill the ball! Use a short back stroke to start off and swing nice and easy....let the club do the work. "Grip it and rip it" only works for the pro's and those who are really mad!

If you go to the driving range with sore muscles or while you are tired you will not learn much. Try to go in the morning while you are fresh. And when you get frustrated while hitting at the range, quit before you pick up some bad habits. Try again later.

Don't throw the clubs after a bad shot, although it feels really good it can hurt the pocket book! LOL

Bring a enough balls and have fun.

Don't expect to win the tournament, in golf there is always at least a dozen players on the course that are better than you.

Wolf

Remember, what really makes golf fun is the side action.

"$50 says the Schmales kids picks his nose."

"Double or nothn' says he eats it."

Seriously, make friendly $1 bets with your foursome on the following:

Closest to the pin on par 3's (must be on green)

Longest drive on the par 5's (must be in the fairway)

Up & down out of a bunker (from a bunker onto the green, then 1 putt into the hole)

For the basics (grip, addressing the ball and the swing) go to your local library and get the "Jack Nicholas, Golf my way" video. It is probably the absolute best FREE golf advice you can get. Every time I get into a funk, that video will always take strokes off of my game.

After watching the Jack Nicholas video, crack open a beer and watch Caddy Shack!!!

Have fun!!!!!

I've been golfing on a league for 4 years with my company. I took a few lessons and here's what helped me the most...

1. DON'T grip the club like a baseball bat. Hold the club tight enough so it won't fly out of hands after your swing. It's light, so you don't need a bat grip.

2. Make sure the ball is centered in front of you. So it is between your legs when you are addressing it. (Advanced is moving the ball back and forward in your stance depending on your shot.)

3. Buy some of the longer tees instead of the short tees. New golfers have a habit of lifting their heads as they swing through. This way the ball will be higher and better chance of hitting it. Sort of like T-ball!

4. Before you hit. Make sure your club head is in line with the ball. Set the club head behind the ball adjust stance back or forward so head aligns with ball.

5. Bend your knees like your going to sit on a high bar stool.

6. Put your head down and look at the ball and relax.

7. Pull the club back, keep you eyes on the ball, drive through the ball keeping your head down, and as you drive through the ball your head will rotate as your arm crosses your body.

8. DO NOT TRY TO KILL THE BALL!! It will go no where. Let the club do the work and if you hit it right, you'll know and thats how you get hooked!

Good luck, and the most important thing, have fun!! Is it a scramble, best ball, or individual tourny? Let me know and I'll explain.

Barb

Drink at least a six pack per man per 9 holes.

And cheat.......

You know why they call golf, "golf"? Because the word "F" was already taken. Go fishing instead.!!!!!!!!!!

BJ,

If you skill level is like mine in golfing follow this advice:

1- Bring plenty of water, as you will be running in the woods looking for your ball.

2- Wear your glasses- so that you can watch the ball go 25 yards down range and 175 yards, randomly, to the right or left.

3 Spare shorts as you will have the you know what scared out of you when you jump those 5 deer in the thicket that also holds you latest ball

4 If you think one bucket of balls is enough, bring 2. Easier to get a new ball then go swimming for the old one.

5 Blend in with a crowd if your course is close to a road. That way you have it easier to hide when you watch your ball bounce off the fender of that Mercades that just went by

6 bring chow lots of chow see number 1

7 Bring cash, plenty of it, so that if you mess up number 1 and 6, you will not pass out from dehydration or starvation, or if you do not follow rule number 4

Hope that this helps, and in no way have I ever had to worry about any of my rules above :)

Carlos

Barb. Its a tourny my church is putting on.

Shotgun start...whatever that is?

BJ

BJ,

A shot gun start is everyone starts at once. Which means you'll be given a hole number to start on. Say your hole number is 6. You start on the 6th hole and finish on the 5th hole.

Sounds like fun!

Barb

Being a church function with a shotgun start, I'm going to assume that you are playing a "Scramble" format.

Scramble: All four players tee off. Who ever has the best shot, all 4 players will hit from that position....and so on. Scrambles are very fun and a good way to learn because it takes the pressure off of worrying about an individual score.

Oh, one other thing, think of a golf ball as a senko. They are expensive but you WILL lose them. Don't spend 20 minutes looking for a ball. If you hit it into the woods, take a quick look but always have another in your pocket ready to go. If you spend too much time looking it slows down play and others will start to not like you.

Back