Glenn Encore Question

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gilbert Scales2

Reaction score
Glenn, I have seen your post lately about the Encore. What caliber do you have? I thinking about the 270, however I have been having shoulder problems. Do you know how is the recoil in these single shot guns, as compared to bolt actions?

Thanks in advance

Bubby:)

Bubby,

I purposely steered clear of the .270 for my Encores, as I have shoulder problems also. I have a .270 in a Remington 700 ADL, and prior to installing the thumbhole stock and Limbsaver recoil pad, it would tear me up pretty bad in no time. Those two additions toned it down some. They also make reduced recoil loads for the .270, although I haven't tried any yet.

In my experience with prior single shots (mostly H&R's and NEF's), they usually kick fairly well - I would compare them to being the same as a bolt gun of the same weight. The Pro Hunter stocks on the Encore took a bit of this kick away, but I have an affection for laminated wood stocks, so I sold off my Pro Hunter stock and forearm. I've been tempted to reduce my recoil problems by quite a bit by going with a semi-auto, but just can't get myself to do it right now. I like bolts and single shots.

Both of my calibers (.25-06 and 7mm-08) kick considerably less than my .270. I'm really liking both of them, but I'm more enticed by the 7mm-08 right now, mainly because I can shoot a 140 grain bullet from it and it still kicks less than my .270 - that's what I was looking for. The .25-06 kicks less than the 7mm-08, and I think that is because I'm only using 100 grain bullets out of that one (they give me the best accuracy). I like the reduced kick, but really like shooting a heavier bullet. Just personal preference.

On a comparison table (Chuck Hawks recoil tables), this is what is going on with comparable rounds between 120-140 grains out of those rifles:

.25-06 (120 grain bullet at 3000MV) - in a 8 lb rifle, gives 12.5 ft lbs of recoil energy

7mm-08 (140 grain bullet at 2860MV) - in a 8 lb rifle, gives 12.6 ft lbs of recoil energy

.270 (130 grain bullet at 3140MV) - in a 8 lb rifle, gives 16.5 ft lbs of recoil energy

When I first got into Encores, I asked the same question on many sites - What caliber should I get to deer hunt with? I compiled all the answers. It was almost a tie between .25-06 and 7mm-08, with the .25-06 edging it out just by a hair. Next came a fairly close race between .30-06, .270, and .308. There were a few thrown in there that I didn't expect. 6.8SPC is a fairly new round, and available from the custom shop. Too new for me though, and only two people recommended it. 22-250 came up quite a bit, but I wanted something bigger. .243 was a frequent choice, but not as much as some of the aforementioned ones. I've shot .243's before, and wanted something bigger.

Why don't you make a road trip and come shoot one weekend with me? :)

All the best,

Glenn

Glenn, thanks for the info. I shoot alot, mostly handguns now. I shot Trap for several years, had to give it up. My shoulder ached for days after. I wish I could make a road trip, and shoot with you. I just don't see that possible anytime soon. I knew before I asked that I could get the complete scoop, and I did.

Thanks for taking the time to pass it on.

Bubby:)

No problem Bubby. Any time. Just a suggestion on the shoulder, particularly if it's joint related:

I have been taking GNC Triflex for a while now. It really helps with my joints, particularly my shoulder and upper back. Prior to taking it, I'd have issues with long shooting sessions, particularly when it came to archery. I started on it, and after a few months, really didn't realize the results, so I quit taking it. It was a few weeks later that I realized that all that time, it WAS working. I thought back to the lack of pain (or reduced amount) I had experience for many months, but now that I was off of it, the pain was back with a vengence. I started back on a daily Triflex regime, along with my daily vitamins (dang it sucks getting old), and I was back to greatly reduced pain, or sometimes pain-free in no time at all.

All the best,

Glenn

Latest posts

Back