Getting old numbers off boat

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Teri C.

Reaction score
I did a search on how to remove the old registration numbers and I only found 1 post from 2001. Suggestions were WD40, DeSolveIt, and Goo Gone. Would Goo Gone hurt the fiberglass?

Any suggestions on the easiest way to get the #'s off? I don't have a heat gun and I tried the hair dryer on the pontoon last fall and it didn't work.

Pull them off after the boat has been sitting in the sun.

Turn one side of the boat to the sun, let it sit for a few hours to get good and warm and then just peel them off!

Turn the boat 180* and repeat the process.

Teri the hai dryer trick will work much better on the fuberglass boat then it would on the pontoon boat. I would give that a try then remove any extra adhesive with wd40 and a rag.

Goo Gone won't hurt the fiberglass. Be sure to clean the Goo Gone off afterwards with some kind of cleaner like Windex. I've used a new razor blade to get the corners lifted, just gotta be careful not to scratch the glass.

Bob G.

Have you tried mothers spit and a hankie. That'll remove some pretty tough stuff. ;>)

Harpo

"goof off" has been some really good stuff for me. I GUESS that it wouldn't hurt fiberglass. With the razor blade, lay it almost on the fiberglass. If they used non-adhesive numbers (vinyl decal type stuff), soapy water (used mostly as a lubricant) and a razor blade works real well. Just remember to go slow and be careful. Don't forget to apply a good coat of wax after getting the numbers off and any chemicals used to remove them.

Hair Dryer about 8 - 12 inches away from the sticker, it comes right off. Then a little cleaner, I prefer the purple stuff bass boat cleaner, let dry place new stickers.

Been working for me for years!!! even on my TIN boats years ago.

Mark

hair dryer would work, or a pressure washer with decent flat spray nozzle & just blast them off, starting with a corner. Keep the spray as parallel to the hull as you can, A perpendicular spray won't do it. We do that all the time with our company trucks. I wouldn't wax the area until after you install your new numbers if they are going in the same place. The wax might make the new numbers not adhere properly. I would hit the area with a polishing compound to blend the newly exposed area with the rest of the surrounding area.

Back