Gettin' wet!

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scott Allen

Reaction score
OK Guys. Remembering that I'm new to bassboats, I've got an issue that maybe you can help me with. Most all my under deck storage areas in my Tracker Pro Team 165 are getting wet when I go out. The area under the driver/passenger seats seems to get it the worst and then the upfront locker. The rod locker/storage along the side doesn't get wet at all. Am I not using the manually activate bilge pump enough? I have to come home and take everything out of these areas, dry the items out and then use the wet vac and fans to dry the storage out. I don't think I have a leak. Thanks for any help you can provide!

wow I have a 2001 PT175XT and I can say the only way water gets in my boat is if it pours outside. But i have Never had water anywere after being on the water.

I dont know, but it sounds like you may have a leak somewere. I would look into that for sure. Good Luck.,

BT is right - something is leaking. My 2002 PT175 was bone dry up to (and including) the day I sold it in 2008. If the stuff in your storage areas AND the area under your console is wet, you're getting a LOT of water seeking in. Is the plug new? Are you getting a lot of back splash over the rear transom? Is water seeping in-between the hull and cap. You need to find where water is getting in and keep it out.

I might be getting some over the back when unloading. Most of the ramps where I fish are very steep. The plug is probably original, but this boat has less than 40 hours on it so I suspect it is okay. I'll put some rubber conditioner on it to see if that helps. Would these areas get wet if I didn't use the bilge pump judiciously? Thanks!

If you don't have a crack or hole somewhere, and it's not leaking past the plug, I'd first start looking at thru-hull fittings.

Your livewell pumps will have a thru-hull fitting to bring the water into the livewells, and the plastic neck of those fittings has been the culprit of many leaks in tons of boats through the years. Hoses and pumps bouncing around will break the plastic sometimes, and once those break - it's the same as having a hole in the bottom of your boat, or the plug out.

All the best,

Glenn

While the boat is on the trailer fill the inside with water into the bilge area until it begins to show in the problem areas. Then watch for leaking. It could be rivet (if it has them) are leaking, thru hull fittings, the plug itself, combination of any of these or it could be one of the hoses to the livewell are leaking. You should not have to use the bilge (much less religiously) unless it is raining outside or some pretty mean backwash over the transom!!!!!

Try this and see if it works!

Randy!

Hi Scott,

I Agree with Randy, put water in the boat on the trailer and look for leaks. If you are constantly running your aerator it could be leaking over the top of your live well into the bilge also.

Mark

Had a mouse eat a hole in livewell fill tube over the winter, took half the season for me to figure out why for the first time ever I had to run the bilge pump and why the live well took so dang long to fill. Just another item to check

Check that constant-on livewell switch as Jaws suggests, that'll do it every time.

I've had the livewell pump housing crack so I would recommend checking them. One of the hoses could be loose or the pump itself could be broke.

I agree with Randy put some Blue or Red food coloring in it and check the hull.

fatrap

Don't bother with rubber conditioner, get a new plug, a good stainless screw-in type. Under $5 is cheap insurance. My 2003 PT175 developed a crack in the keel weld, it would take on 5 gallons in just a few hours. Found it by plugging the boat and filling the bilge while it was on the trailer.

If it is raining all of your compartments except the rod locker will get wet. If it is not raining, then you have a leak. I have a 2004 PT175 and it stays perfectly dry unless it is raining, and then everything except the rod locker gets soaked.

Might be an obvious thing but have you parked the boat on a slope and made certain all the water is drained from the plug? I purchased a used PT185 which was stored outside and covered. I figured it was dry but also had issues with some compartments being wet. It seems rainwater had gotten under the cover and was sloshing around.

Here's a final notion...If it has a riveted top cap like most all welded, run a bead of silicone all the way around. Before you get on plane water will leak into the crevasses.

So far it hasn't been out in the rain and it is garage kept. I did run the bilge pump for the first time, last time out. The wet that was there may have been from that. Tee, would that bead be run up under the outside lip of the gunnels? Is that the correct term? :) Thanks for all the great suggestions. Looks like a busy weekend fer me! Plus fishin'.

Scott

I had that same problem. Check the screws on your transducer if you have on your transom. They may have come just a little loose. You'll be surprised at how much water will come in.

Back