G3 Maiden Voyage (for me, that is!)

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim in VA

Reaction score
Two weeks after getting the new-to-me G3 HP180 back to Virginia (from Ohio), I finally had a chance to get her out on Lake Anna (hot side) this past Saturday. What a HOOT!! I blasted down from my launch (between dike 2 and chanel 2) down to dike 1. Seemed like it took no time at all to get there. She just JUMPS out of the hole and quickly gets on plane without any muss or fuss. Guess that's the difference between 40hp at 25mph max speed and 150hp at 55mph not-quite-max speed!

The boat performed flawlessly. No chine walking or porpoising and the boat design keeps backwash from going over the transom. She was easy to drive in mild chop. After getting a bit more used to the much much faster rig, I got up the nerve to open it all the way on the trip back for a short bit. With the wind calmer, I hit 60mph on the speedo. Going to have to GPS it to see the real speed was.

I will say this, my wallet's not going to like having to fill up on the petrol more often, but the grin that boat put on face will be worth it (for now!). Oh yea, and I fished too! :D:D:D Nothing significant to speak of - two dinks in the boat and one decent fighter that spit the crankbait on the first jump.

Oh, and I saw Mike in his blue bomber (189 Nitro)! He and his wife had caught some cats as well as a few bass. Hope they had fun Sunday too!!

sounds like you had a good day. And yes its a neck snapper out of the hole. your 60 mph speedo reading is most likly dead on with a stock setup. Cant wait to see that bad boy jim. now, lets get you on the river,

mike c

Sounds good Mike. I've got the trailer tires in the basement in Arlington to change them out (one had dry rot on the sidewall). Should be mobile again by weekend after next (no fishing on Mother's day for me!!).

jim,

So overall, what did you think? what are you impressions and likes and dislikes, or things you are unsure about. more details

mike c

Mike - overall, lots of fun!! Speed is something new for me so I'll have to get used to it. I did notice that the boat doesn't turn as tight as the Tracker. I attribute that to the factor of nearly 3x the top speed of the Tracker.

One thing I think I'll do sooner rather than later is get another trolling motor battery in there. I'm probably not going to swap out the 52lb thrust motorguide as it did okay last weekend, even in the wind. It won't win any races, but it does move the boat well enough. My only concern is the battery lasting through the day as 52lbs does drain a 12V pretty quickly. Question will be where to put the extra battery. I know you have a 24V set up. Where did you set the batteries? Then, of course, I'll need to upgrade to a two bank charger.

For now, I think that'll do it.

Uncle Billy - can't wait for you to come out for a ride and some fishing!

jim,

there is room for an extra battery, and you can always hook up anthor battery in series and still maintain 12 volts but have the juice of 2 batteries at your disposal.

the 52 is ok, on the river when the tide gets going its hard on the motor to move you foward against the tide in areas i like to fish,

..............since its tin it moves more in current more that glass. just keep your eyes open for a good used 24 volt. Thats what i did, then i converted it to digital since im addicted to standing on the pedal.

mike c

Timing is everything!! Too bad you missed out on the Tracker Marine E-Bay store deal. 70lb thrust, 24v Motorguide for $269. I almost bought a couple of them to have one as a spare. Keep your eve on that site Jim, they run a lot of TM specials. Your biggest problem will be when you get in the grass mats on the river with that 52. It may do the job but be careful of it heating up and frying itself.

TOXIC

Thanks Mike and Tox:

Darn it! Timing IS everything. I would have jumped at a 70lb thrust TM for $269. I'll make sure to keep an eye on the website.

Should have mentioned that I'm also working on the trailer. I pulled the wheels to put on new tires (one of the originals had dry-rot cracks all along the sidewall). When I pulled the wheel, I also saw grease spatters on the inside. Crap - need to change out the seals and repack the bearings too! Not that big a deal and I've done that before on a different trailer. Still, I guess this is part of the joys of buying used. Thank goodness the boat runs well and is sound!

Thanks again for all the tips and advice - its very much appreciated!!

Cool deal Jim! Sounds like a fast mover man! have to hook up with you on the River or Anna sometime!

Back