Front Livewell Not Working

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Teri C.

Reaction score
On manual, the water fills the front livewell like it's suppose to. As soon as I turn it to Auto, it stops working. The livewell should kick on and off and aerate (sp?) itself but it doesn't. Anything common I should check?

How long after you turned to manual did you wait? If you don't let it fill all the way up on auto it will turn off as soon as you put it on manual, then it will wait a few minutes then fill some more then wait a few minutes then fill some more until it gets full then starts overflowing out the back drain.

I check the back of the switch and make sure it is connected properly. No loose wires. it could be the timer cylinder

Like I even know what a relay is....the on and off I can do. Ha!

Teri on mine i can turn it to timer after manual and it will not kick on again untill the timer is ready. I would wait a few minutes and see if it will check out. if not you will need to change the timer switch. It looks like a pill bottle and should be under the dash near the switch. Mine costed about $25 if Ic an remember right. It was an easy job, but your boat may still be under Tropicana Waranty! LOL Hope this helps.

Donnie

Did the front livewell ever work on auto?

Your front live well may not be equipped with a timer.

Or it may be your knooter valve,they usually go right after your muffler bearings.LOL

Steve

I had exactly the same problem on my Targa 18. When I had it to the dealer for other work I mentioned it and they checked and said a wire had worked loose, I'm pretty sure they said on the switch. They reconnected it and it works OK now.

unplug the relay and plug it back together again. this has worked for me. if that does not work then replace it. you can switch them also to see if ones bad. stan

Can someone explain what the relay looks like and where I might find that?

Ok here it is:

There is usually 2 or 4 runners, the first one starts out and makes its way all the way around until it gets back to where it started from, when approaching the place where it started a tube looking thingy is handed to the next runner and that runner makes its way all the way around. When it gets back to the starting point the tube/baton is handed to the next runner......I think you get the picture...LOL

Wolf

Teri, it should be either the pill bottle described above or a plastic "box" about the size of a ring box from a jewelers. Turn on your auto mode and if it is adjustable, max it out. Then lay down on the floor(this will be tough but you can manage it) and get your head up under the console with a flashlight. Listen to hear if the relay "clicks" at all. If not, it is not cycling and needs to be replaced. It shouldn't be more than $20 max I think. Should have a set of wires in and a set out. It could either be directly behind the console where the "adjustment" dial is, if you have one. Or if not, it could be anywhere in the wires for the pump system up under the dash. Good luck, hope that helps some. Very hard to explain in typed text. Much easier to find when you're looking.

Actually JR, manual means the pump runs constantly, not by gravity. But auto means it runs on the timer, in cycles. Just a fyi.

Yea, where's Bob G - He's got the same boat!

Rangers, unless the new ones are different all have the same system.

Manual, provided you swithc your valves to automatic/fill, will run the pumps constantly. This is to fill the livewells in the morning, or to run constantly if you're trailering fish to a weigh in, etc.

The auto, on your CONSOLE, makes the relay turn the pumps on and off at different intervals depending on how you set your timer. That would be when you normally put your valve on "recyc". You can also use auto with it on fill, to periodically pump fresh water in.

Did that make sense?

Every up to date livewell system I have seen works like this.

Back