For those that winterize

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kim Becker

Reaction score
With all the issues and discussions on ethanol and fuel, what is the general consensus about winterizing? Empty tank, 1/4 tank, full tank with treatment or other options? I will be putting mine away in about 3 weeks and am completely undecided on what is the best course. Just wondering what everyone else has done or is planning to do.

I keep 1/2 with Stabil but, my rig sleeps in my man cave for the winter.

I don't even fog the carbs...just the cylinders.

Here is the "official" word direct from the Merc website..

What should be done when storing boats with ethanol-blended fuels for extended periods?

Follow the instructions for normal storage preparation found in the owner

I take the Opti to Bass Pro and have them put it "To Sleep" they hook it to a laptop and it runs a program. Then they do what's needed to the rest of the rig including fuel. Cost $100. Also I never knowing run ethanol fuel.

fatrap

I thought I heard that Opti's don't need fogging and if you do, you need to use a special fogging oil. Can anyone comment on that?

Thanks....

Mike

Mike,

I dont have it in front of me but its all spelled out in the manual on what to do to winterize an opti. From what i remember you do not fog the motor. You need to run a special mix of fuel and additives thru it then put a little two cycle oil in each cyl and spin it over to coat the walls. The special fuel coctail looks like a pain in the butt to me.

For the first time ever since i have owned a boat i plan to have my dealer do the winterize, with the opti it just seems worth the money.

Thanks Jim. I have had a dealer do my boat every year and each spring all I do is turn the key and it runs. But due to economic times and no job, I need to do what I can. I have the service manual and should have looked at it again.

Good luck with your boat. I remember the same feeling you have when I got mine just a few years ago.

Mike

Latest posts

Back