2000 Mercury EFI 200HP - Continuous/steady Beep

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

N901

Reaction score
Hi All,
Took my sons out fishing today and while running (not top speed, just cruising) I got a continuous/steady beep. I put the engine in neutral and it went away about a minute later. Took off again and was silent but then the beep came back. Stopped and fished for a bit and then heading back to the ramp the steady beep came back, then it went away. I checked both oil tanks and both are completely full. Any thoughts on what else I could check? I should also note that water was streaming out of the hole in the back of the engine. I think this continuous beep generally means that the engine is overheating but if the oil levels are good and water is flowing what else could it be?

Thanks in advance!
N901

Poppet valve may be stuck closed. What is your water pressure cruising should be around 8-10 PSI at 32 MPH Water pump may be failing. Need to add engine numbers and model. On the opti max the pee stream comes from the compressor so you could have problems at engine. but if it stopped at idle that means thermostats are opening and letting it cool off the poppet valve opens when running at cruise speed if it is not open u may not be getting enough flow to keep it cool mines runs 113F to 115F cruising ,some of the other guys that know more about this will add to it as i have just been learning about all this lately. Do a search on poppet valve and water pumps you can read a lot on it. Cub48

Check your fuel filter if the red light is on there can be some water in your fuel which means at high speed you could be getting some water in your VST tank. Take the filter off and pour the fuel into a glass jar and see if you got water.

I posted this in another thread but figured it wouldn't hurt to spread it around. I just had this high pitch alarm issue this weekend on 2004 Tracker. We were heading in for the day when it started. It was continuous - which like the original poster said - would normally be overheating. The engine ran fine though. Ran it all the way to the camp and then again from the camp to the boat ramp. Alarm comes on as soon as you turn the key, before cranking. Even when I got the boat home several hours later, you turn the key to the right and the alarm sounds. Possible the alarm itself is broken?

Latest posts

Back