Flood effects on fish?

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Teri C.

Reaction score
So the Cumberland River is finally below flood stage and they are letting water out of my lake like crazy. I can't imagine how it is not totally flooding things downstream from the dam but I guess they know what they are doing.

My question is if I get some free time this weekend is it worth fishing? Is it dangerous to go out on flooded waters. Would the fish even bite after a week of settling? I suspect there would be alot of debris floating and thinks under water around the shoreline but the bluff walls and deeper places should be ok I would think.

Any thoughts?

Find the cleaner water. Yes, the old adage of, "rising water puts fish on the bank" is very true, however, not all of them run to the bank when it turns to choco-puddin'. (Right now in your particular situation.) The majority of the spawn has happened in our latitude and the big gals are pulling off the shallows anyhow. I'd scrutinize my map(s) more now than ever. Look for deeper water current breaks off the main channels, just out from the spawning flats. These breaks will generally pocket clearer water in an underwater eddy. Combine that with over-sexed and hungry, spawned-out bigheads and you can thump a decent limit from a hole that will replenish fairly quick. Clearer water and less turbidity wil be like finding a diamond in a football field with your conditions, so mark, then check a bunch of spots. You'll find one stacked, I'm willing to bet. Give each targeted break 15-20 min, with a deep crank, slow-rolled spinnerbait, and jig/trlr combo, then move on and check the next marked break if no takers. It's a lot of hop and go fishing with this, but if you make your gameplan and stick with it, it should pay off. At least this is what I do when the water turns to unset concrete. Good luck! ;)

As far as danger goes, we say around here, "Go slow, so you can go some mo'!" Now is not the time to do WFO on the throttle. Stay in the channels on pad and travel at a safe enough speed to eyeball the deadheads and drifters. (Especially those d@mn powerhead popping plastic bags!!) When leaving the channel, I'd drop off pad and slow cruise to the destination. The channels where the main current is will keep the debris moving until wedged or gone. Out of the current, not so much. You don't want to turn out of the markers and hit the edge of an outhouse, church bus, etc. Take your time and be safe driving above all, and keep your vest on!! Good luck! ;)

Yo Teri, I took a look at the water yesterday and I think you could plow and plant it. I'd probably take a look up in Bluegrass if you are thinking OH. Priest may be some cleaner, less river and I don't think the 'boro got the rain we did??? I'll prolly go somewhere here tomorrow, the level will be OK. There should be logs and debris everywhere, so what Dan said on speed sounds like good advice, except watch out in the channels too. I took a chunk out of my gelcoat last spring in the channel after a lot of rain.

Well, I doubt I do much fishing this weekend. I just signed up with Hands on Nashville and registered to clean up flooded neighborhoods this weekend. Figured I could lend a helping hand instead of selfish pleasures.

You go girl!! That's exactly what our country needs more of today. God Bless you and those in need during this terrible crisis. Very inspiring! :D

Dan, thank you for taking the time to write up where to find them. I am sure I will use the information next week if I have a chance to get out on the water. I think it's going to take awhile for the lakes and rivers to return to normal.

Hey Teri if you get up this way you can help clean the house as It's been a few weeks since It was done..BWHAHAHAHH You have a big heart girl....The world could use more like you...But I met you so I know,You are a good hearted person..(and sort of cute to,For a youngun):)

Didn't read everyone's post above so I may be repeating some stuff but here goes.

This time of year particularly, the fish are looking to spawn. So largemouth especially will follow the water up onto shore. The shallower water will warm up quicker. Usually flood water means muddy water and that CAN shut down fish. Not always, but as a general rule, find cleaner water and you'll find the fish. Be careful as you will likely be fishing in folks back yards....literally. This puts all sorts of new hazards for boating on the table. Submerged picnic tables and swing sets are some of my favorites on southern resevoirs for bed fishing....seriously. Just be ready to either inform home owners that they only own to the high water mark (in a polite and professional manner) or be prepared to motor off.

Rob is right, on Champlain anyway. Some owners think they own the water also. I was fishing with Zell Rowland on Champlain and while the wife was on the porch waving and taking pics of the pretty bass boat, the male of the family shut off the mower and marched down to the dock and told us in a not so nice way to leave and even said he would jump in the boat and strangle us if we hit his dock or boat with a lure... Zell was a real pro with that butthead. We moved on but I kept my rod with the 3/4 oz rattle trap that I use for jet fleas handy just in case...LOL

I have fished Lake Gaston where we launched from the parking lot and found a picnic table bite. They had one cove off limits because the water was not only over the bridge but the speed limit sign also.. Becareful if you venture out.

BF

Back