Fishing the Women's BASS Masters

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You dont have to prefish, but it would help if you did.

You dont need your own boat to prefish, all you have to do is hook up with a boater and fish with them.

Some boaters will have other obligations, but I know the WBT World Champ. I could ask her if she needs a practice partner :) But only if your nice :) lol

Aren't there specific pre-fishing and sharing information rules?

Regardless, you could just show up and fish.

I guess I felt pretty strongly about it. :lol::wacko::lol:

I read the rules and they state there are 3 practice days prior to each tournament which would be Monday, Tuesday & Wednesday. I really can't afford to take all week off for each tournament. Maybe be there for the Wednesday practice but then how do you guarantee there is a boater there to take you. The rules don't state when you have to be there to sign up before the event.

Any idea who I could call to get a better idea of how this all works? Surely you guys know someone who could give me a general idea (at least I hope so). :)

I've fished a few co-angler tournies :rolleyes: and will tell you what I know. (They wouldn't let me fish a WBT, so I can't say this is verbatim. :lol: ) You'll need to take at least Mon. through Sat. off tourney week. The first three days are practice days, but one of the days will be registration, another for pre-T meeting, and also a pairing for the T. (Plus whatever else may come.) Pre-fish is nice, but be prepared to hold your ground when fishing your half day if the boater is on fish on the other side of the lake. Agree to split travel times equally before leaving the dock in that case. If possible, set up a milk run of both your locations and try to work as a team against the rest of the field (and clock primarily) instead of each other. Without pre-fish, you'll be a valuable draw. Just go fishing in that case. Try and find a competitor before the T week and hitch a ride for practce days. Lots of folk will be solo, so you have a good shot at hitchin' a ride. More importantly, take mental notes and ask questions if your co is conversive. Boat chatter is nice to pass the day, but a "team" picking apart the water back and forth is a formidable opponant. Above all, enjoy yourself and network. It's nice to pair up with someone you met earlier and had some cordial dialogue with. Good luck and let us know how it goes!! ;) :D

Ok, did some homework and spoke with the tournament director. She was very informative and very nice. Looks like I might be registering for at least the first tournament in Gadsden, AL March 26-28. I'll decide after that about the rest. Not sure I am ready for it skillwise but I am certainly ready for the experience.

So, free advertising on my plain white shirt. :D Oh, I guess I am required to wear the BASS patch that I don't have. Ha!

I can mail one or two if you want. i have a couple laying around from my foray into the Bassmaster Trail.

Teri just wear a white t-shirt with no rain suit and you won't need any advertising, you'll make the cover of Bassmasters! :eek::lol:

Randy!

Marty, I think I can request one when I register. If not, I can let you know. Thanks!

Randy, I don't think I would have much of a chance in a wet tshirt tournament but a good thought.:p

I'll I've got to say is YOU GO GIRL!!

If it were me, I wouldn't prefish. The time and $$ isn't worth it and it will be rare when the boater asks or takes you to any fish you may have found. My 1 sage nugget of advise.....get good with a shakeyhead because you will be starving for leftovers if your boater knows what she is doing. Teddy's son Justin won the co-angler title in his division by doing just that. He reeked in the Championship because of bad draws. I was relly proud of him because I was the one who got him started finesse fishing. I used to guide him in his High School Tournaments.

TOXIC

Teri,....send me your shirt!! I'll have Lucky embroidered on there for ya!!:wub:

Good Luck Teri and skill is only a part of it.

Finding the fish at any given time is most of the puzzle.

With experience comes skill.;):cool:

Funny you mention shakeyhead. I just read the article in BassMasters and thought that would be good to use especially if fishing deeper. I sure have alot to learn but I think it will be fun. I just hope I don't get paired with a stick in the mud. As some of you know, I am pretty easy going and like to have a good time. Wonder if she'll let me pee in her livewell....:p

You are going to love Guntersville. That is an awesome lake. Nice backdrop too.

It's not Guntersville. It's Neely Henry Lake in Gadsden, AL.

Teri, I wish you all the luck in the world. Prayers will be sent for you.

Bubby:)

Far be it from me to give advice but here are my 2 pennies. If you want to sit in the back of the boat and drag a worm/jig or throw crankbaits out to open water that is great. That pro up front will be hitting every spot and positioning the boat for her every cast with no regard for the back of the boat. You aren't competing against her but she is competing for big bucks and will use the boat to her advantage. You will get your time up front but if the pro has found fish and you move to the front of the boat they will resent giving up "their" fish while you are on the trolling motor and she will not take kindly to leaving a fishy spot to go find "your" fish. You would be much better served to enter a team tournament trail where the co-anglers contribute to the pros daily bag. Then it is at least in their interest for you to catch a fish. Anglers Choice has great Pro-Ams. You fish with a different pro each day and you take your weight with you to the next day. So if you and your pro get 12lbs on day one, you start day 2 with 12lbs and add in your day 2 total with a new pro. You get to learn a ton this way and these tournaments are usually only on weekends. The pros don't expect you to prefish (but appreciate any that you have done) and you aren't competing against the pros time on the water. Just something to think about.

NoCAL

Teri,

Try several events with a couple of trails, if you can. I fish Walleye Tournaments (a lot fewer now than in the past) which are usually "team" events, even when they are Pro-Am draw formats. Each circuit has some pluses and minuses. So, before you decide you do or don't like tournament fishing you need to give it as much of a chance as possible. Everybody doesn't like the same thing, so what works for you will probably be something you don't necessarily try out as your first circuit.

Do what you can to talk to several people who have fished the trail you are trying out. I'm not that crazy about what happens over on the Bash-Fishing Home Page, but I would suggest you post over there looking for folks willing to talk to you about the trail. Get several opinions. And, do be aware that each trail usually has it's own "culture"... So, don't be surprised if a suggestion for one trail is not made for another.

Some things to be tuned in on are 1) the amount of gear you bring as a Co-angler 2) provisions for food/drinks, cooler, etc. 3)always have rain gear... When you are a co it is good to have like Frogg Toggs or other suitable "packable" gear if the weather conditions (usually temps) make them a suitable choice... 4) sunglasses, lip balm, sunscreen, bug spray/wipes 5) I don't know about Bass events, but in the Walleye World the non-boater usually offers $20-40 to the boater for gas (and for us live bait...LOL) 6) Be prepared to be very flexible about the day.... By that I mean, don't expect to make friends and then if you do, great, but don't let a grumpy bad attitude by the baoter ruin your day 7) Be spot on about rules, limits and those matters... carry the written ones if you can 8) Arrive early to meet the boater the day of the event. In your case state exactly what your qualifications and experience levl is a) fishing and b) hasndling a boat/trailer... (some boaters will want you to drive the truck at the ramp, others may not...ask/offer 9) For the safety of both of you, make sure you know where all of the safety gear is in the boat ASAP 10) Respect the boater's boat and equipment even better than you would your own (some folks are very anal, very)

That is by far not an extensive list of thiungs, just some that come to mind.

I have been fishing walleye tournaments from 20 years and I still get surprised, so don't be embarassed to ask questions or be offended if you get "reprimanded".

Good luck.;)

Maybe I am way off but I don't think there are too many options for women fishing against women in tournaments? And, I can't think of too many guys in the world that would be happy to be paired with a woman for a tournament. That sounds sexist but I have been there. I fished a local BASS club in Indiana. They allowed me to take my same partner with me on every tournament as he didn't have his own boat. Every one was fishing for themselves. These guys were less than happy to have a girl fishing in their club. They were even less happy when I finished 2nd in the 1st tournament and 1st the 2nd tournament. This was just weekend club. I couldn't imagine how I would be treated in a serious competition. Don't get me wrong, I know there are guys out there that would treat me well but there are alot that wouldn't be happy about having me in their boat. Just my two cents.

I do appreciate all your suggestions and helpful tips. Definitely gave me some things to think about.

Teri,

Then come on over to the light... Fish the walleye circuits. We have some very respected and liked women anglers. There are a small minotity of jerks everywhere, so I suppose there are some walleye guys who don't play well with others...but they are absolutely in the minority.

Until she stopped fishing, Julia Davis was one of the very high profile Pros on the FLW Tour. She ran one of the FLW arranged wrapped boats. I am proud to call her a friend.

Hey Teri,

You get that resentment thing no matter guy or girl if you are "in" the crowd. Mike and I run into that with the winter catfosh TX series we fish. We fish a bassboat and know how to fish a TX..but when we get in the money, there is resentment! Did you see the scowls of the folks in the background of our pics? That matter not; just say screw 'em! Go out there, do your best for the conditions allowed.....

Get some girl!

Latest posts

Back