Fishing Tackle questions

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jason L

Reaction score
Hi,

In trying to get ready to go out this weekend, I need to go buy fishing tackle as I have 0 now lol.

I purchased 2 spinner (For panfish and some bass) and 2 baitcast combos(For bass, catfish. Shimano reels w/ 7' MH action rod) from BPS already.

What line/pound test should I put on the reels?

Also, what is everyone's must have lures in the various categories (Crankbait, plastic, topwater etc)

Thanks

Jason

Jason, Before long you will have 10 - 20 rods and reels. I will give you 1 each of the must haves:

Crankbait -- For the money get Bandit's

Topwater -- OK I'll give you 2 -- Sammy and a Pop-R

Plastics -- Senko, Zoom Floating worm, 7" worm, Tube bait, Razor worms for dropshotting & Creature baits (Brush hogs for example)

It's all personal preference.

For my spinning rods, they almost always have either 10 or 12 pound test, and I like Berkely XL line for those.

For baitcasters, it depends on what I'm doing. Crankbaits get 10lb test. Worms and other soft plastics (floating worms, soft jerkbaits, brushhogs, etc... get 14 lb. Spinnerbaits / buzzbaits / topwaters get 17lb. Jigs get 20lb. Frogs to be used in the pads get 30lb braided line. Carolina rig rod gets 30 braid with a 14lb florocarbon leader.

Must have lures..... Hmmm....

Crankbaits - I like Luhr Jensen Speed Traps and Bandits in the 100 and 200 size. Shad color, Crawfish color, and a Chartruese variation.

Soft plastics - Green Pumpkin, Junebug, Red Shad in several styles (lizards, 4" and 6" worms, brush hogs, etc...

Spinnerbaits - 1/4 and 3/8 oz White and Chartruese skirt with a gold #5 main blade (Colorado or Indiana) and a silver #2 second blade (Colorado)

Buzzbaits - 1/4 oz. Any color.... as long as it's white. :lol:

Jigs - 1/4, 3/8, 5/8 oz black and blue, or a color I call "fall" - my variation of a texas craw color

Topwaters - Poppers and Walking baits. Most of mine cost more than what I really wanted to spend on them... but the Heddon Super Spook Jr. is about as good as it gets for a walking bait.

Floating worms and Soft Plastic Jerkbaits - White, Bubblegum, and Green Pumpkin / Red Flake (Chili Pepper in the Culprit brand)

and last, but definitely not least..... Senkos! Or in my case, a Senko type lure - the Culprit Stinger worm most of the time. I have more colors than I care to discuss, but my favorites are Chili Pepper, Glow, and Watermelonseed / Silver Flake in the Culprit brand, and in the Yamamoto brand I like the Green Pumpkin / Watermelonseed laminate, Bubblegum, and plain White the best.

All the best,

Glenn

Spinning Reels - 8 lb test

Casting reels - 10 or 12 lb test

Crankbaits - Rat-l-traps, Rapala DB6, Wiggle Warts

Worms - Power Worms, Senkos

Soft Baits - zoom flukes, watermelon colored lizards

Spinnerbaits - Terminator, Booyah

Im in Birmingham, Alabama.. So mainly Lakes and some rivers

Yes Steve. Lay, Smith, Logan Martin, Mitchell initially.

Jordan is probably 1.5 hours away.

8# XL for the spinning

14# XT for the baitcasting

( I would say flouro, but don't attack that until your really comfortable with your rods/reels)

-finesse worms in watermelon/green pumpkin for clear water

-7" ribbon tail worm in watermelon/green pumpkin and junebug for stained/muddy water

-topwater walking bait for clear and popper for stained water (clear/shad/baitfish color-whichever looks good to you)

-texas and carolina rigging hardware

-hard jerkbaits in chrome and in white

-if you're going to hit some of the extremely clear lakes then include a dropshot with some roboworms and zoom tiny flukes

-for more stained waters include some 3/8 and 1/2 ounce spinnerbaits

-chrome rattletraps

keep it simple to start with, you can probably go anywhere and catch fish on a green pumpkin worm:D

My brain just overloaded.......complete brain fart!!:lol: Too many baits hitting the information highway at the same time!!:D

TOXIC

Jason,

Get a list together and then call me at the store next week....248-666-7799

I'll ship out what you need and give you a good discount to make sure you get started right!!!

All the above lists are very complete and I can't think of a thing to add....except one thing. If you want lots of action from Crappie, Bluegills, and small Bass get some Blakemore Roadrunners. When I first got my son fishing that was his go to lure and he whooped dad's butt with them. Our best was a Chartruse Bubble Belly. Buy a dozen because you'll loose them often. Great for keeping the kids from getting bored.

Harpo

Back