First Tourney this Saturday

• Thread starter Christopher Laurencio
  • Start date
Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Christopher Laurencio

Reaction score
I'm going to my first tourney of the season tommorrow morning, pre-fished last week, no bites.

Water surface temp was 45 degrees, dark/dingy water. What should I try? Muddy bottom, lot's of fish in 10'-20'marked on the lowrance stacked up on top of eachother, that the simulator was on for a minute, all of them were suspending. Weather for tourney will be 45-50 degrees and overcast/cloudy.

LM lake, any suggestions?

Chris

Try a jigging spoon over the suspended fish (1/4 oz to 3/16 oz)you saw or try a black 1/32-1/8 oz hair jig dangled in front of their nose. Water that cold their not going to be very active. If they do eat it will be a small tidbit of food.

Jig and Pig (real pork) on the break and Hair Jig.

If the sun is out make sure you cruise the sunny banks in the afternoon.....

Mini

I too am going to fish a open tx tomorrow in the upper chesapeake bay (tidal)water was cold this week but I'm going to try it let you guys know how we did.Good Luck!

Chris, were is the tourney? I must agree with James small spoons and jigs. Hope the wind will stay down for you. Good luck.

CJ,

It's in Stone Tavern, I'm not looking forward to going actually because of the weather and the day before Easter, I'm going as a non-boater and have already committed to going, if not I would be sleeping in.

I don't have any Hair jigs, I mainly use SpiderJigs for jig fishing, do you think that will work? If I use the 4" size. Maybe Drop-Shot?

Next week I have a tourney on MC, if it's thawed out by then! I drove past oxford furnace lake this morning and it's still 90% hard.

Another option try 3 inch twister tail (I like tripple ripple white) on the lightest jig head you can get away with. I usually use 1/16 oz. but 1/8 will work also. Slow and steady retrieve. I've caught some awful lunkers up here early in the spring right after ice out.

CJL, you have open water already??

not fair. our lakes are still very hard.

GRegD

GregD, It's about 50/50 now, some of the south jersey lakes are completely soft. But up north west by me, they are still frozen mostly.

I'll be fishing this weekend.

CJL, I was just outside ready to throw the johnboat into the pickup, but its cold and breezy out with no sun in sight. Feels like rain. I've got the next 5 days off so I'll do the around the house work now and fish on a nicer day!

Good Luck tomorrow. When your through with your T, if you need a cup of coffee call me and you can drop by the house !

Have fun Chris. I was going to fish a buddy tournament on Assunpink on Saturday . But I think I'll stay home and watch Roland Martin LOL!!! . Too cold for me !!

Thanks Mike.

TOO COLD, come on Tom, don't that Basscat have heated floors? LOL

I would like to see you show it off to the CJBB nuckleheads.

Remember the other day you asked me about the Federation card? I got it in the mail last week.

So Tom, what should I use for Stoney Tavern? Besides gloves

Good cold water baits/tactics: Jigging spoons,suspending jerks,inline spinners,jignpig,texas rigged tubes around cover.Fish northerly(usually the warmest) shorelines and if there is a breeze,fish the wind blown shore,if it is really blowin fish the same shoreline with BIG spinnerbaits, they will crash them, cold water or not.

Try rattletraps I know that's what most of the guys will be using on Assunpink on Saturday .As far as CJBB I'll have to show up at one of thier tournaments maybe !

Back