Fiberglass Repair

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DONAOL

Reaction score
Clipped a rock the other day. First deep gouge for me. I will have this fixed, but don’t want to lose fishing time now. Was thinking about using 3M Marine RTV Adhesive to make a temporary fix. Just wondering if anyone has done a temporary fix before that works. Thank

Attachments

• IMG_6273.jpeg
    IMG_6273.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
Well the good news is that the chip just is the gelcoat outer layer. The bad news is that you should not put anything in that spot except new gelcoat color matched to the area. The area needs to be cleaned with acetone, roughened up a little with 1000 grit, new gelcoat applied to a level slightly higher (polyester resins shrink when cured) and sanded carefully level and buffed to gloss. Polyester gelcoat is spendy and doesn't come in cans smaller that quarts and MEKP hardener is used. A boat repair place is your best bet for this small size problem and cheaper.

Well the good news is that the chip just is the gelcoat outer layer. The bad news is that you should not put anything in that spot except new gelcoat color matched to the area. The area needs to be cleaned with acetone, roughened up a little with 1000 grit, new gelcoat applied to a level slightly higher (polyester resins shrink when cured) and sanded carefully level and buffed to gloss. Polyester gelcoat is spendy and doesn't come in cans smaller that quarts and MEKP hardener is used. A boat repair place is your best bet for this small size problem and cheaper.
Appreciate your advice. I did cover up the larger chipped with J B Marine Epoxy. Wasn’t able to find someone to fix the gel coat in a reasonable amount of time locally. Just a busy time of year for boat repairs. Thanks

Yep wasn’t a good sound when it happened. Luckily it’s at a thicker part of the hull. And not covered by the trailer bunks so easier to work on.
Thats good, that you can get at it. I hit a rock and put a hole in my tansom bottom edge, shop that repaired it, didnt color match, so had a black patch. 🙄 And after I got it home noticed more chips in the hull where they put the jack stands. 🤨 Ugh......

Thats good, that you can get at it. I hit a rock and put a hole in my tansom bottom edge, shop that repaired it, didnt color match, so had a black patch. 🙄 And after I got it home noticed more chips in the hull where they put the jack stands. 🤨 Ugh......
I guess that’s the other problem today. Finding someone to do the repair job right.

You should remove the JB weld and get yourself a tube of West system G flex epoxy
Its pretty cheap, waterproof, comes out thick and bonds to pretty much anything

You should remove the JB weld and get yourself a tube of West system G flex epoxy
Its pretty cheap, waterproof, comes out thick and bonds to pretty much anything
Will look into the G flex epoxy. Thanks

Back