Fabled Stick Marsh/ Farm 13 trip

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John Glover

Reaction score
After a year or two in the making, dragged my PT18 down to fish the Stick Marsh/Farm 13 bass heaven. Fished it for four days until finally admitting defeat. Caught huge crappie like crazy, but the bass fishing is strictly for those in the know. Even watched two guides pull in and spoke to their very disappointed clients...four fish for the three of them. The place was changed so much by the storms you just can't count on anything except the spillway (if it's running), the pump house (if it's running) and maybe the SW corner tree stump field if you just happen to find a pod of fish. Tried the shiners and artificials. Zero bass to the boat for the two of us, and we fished hard.

Fished Anson-Garcia down the road and did better there, primarily because we found some well-defined hydrilla walls along the zig-zag canal that runs from the Northwest corner north. The fish we caught ate weightless Senkos just falling down that wall, but even then, nothing larger than a three pounder. Finally fished the Sebastian River near there and caught a few hanging out on the very scarce tree branch stickups along the bank.

I'm going to stick to the Coosa lakes.

jag

Wow! That's always been one of my dream trips. Guess it'll take a while for it to come back. I wouldn't mind just going for the Crappie though. Hutch

Well, Hutch, I can only report what we caught and what we saw others catching. The crappie hole was in the SE corner near some kind of concrete something, no water running, and we didn't get there until about 9:30 am. There were fifteen or so boats in there, kinda crowded, but most were tied up to one bank, the East bank, and the others were tied to some post/pilings near the spillway ramp, so we had to loiter out in the middle. Didn't matter. Started catching them immediately. Then we found an open piece on the bank and caught them even faster. We caught 34 in less than two hours on minnows, and had to quit because we had not been counting and got worried we were approaching the limit of 25 each. Some were casting jigs and Road Runners and they caught them too. The real deal was the size of these fish...all nice fat 1-3 lb crappie.

It was a blast.

jag

Back