Evinrude 150XP and Johnson 150 carb swap

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carl

Reaction score
I'm hoping to get help from folks who may have done this before. We have a 1989 Evinrude 150XP (TE150SLCEM) that has power issues. We've done lots to it already (new coils, bypassed VRO, new plugs and wires, etc.) We recently purchased a Johnson 150 (probably 1990/1991, not sure if it's a GT or not). The two motors look 95% identical. We're thinking of swapping out the three carbs from the Johnson onto the Evinrude. The Evinrude's carb P/N is 334329 and the Johnson's is 334331. We're worried about the jets or throat on the Johnson carbs being smaller (since it's not a GT as far as we can tell.) What we're thinking is, even if it may underpower our Evinrude, it is better than what we currently have. Is this sound thinking? Thanks in advance!

You have a lot of things to take into consideration. Will it work? Sure, with enough, time, money and patience, anything is possible. You have 3 carbs, syncing them will be fun in this day and age. One small jetting issue and you can lean out a piston really quickly. Those carbs were designed for the flow on the Johnson, and the Evinrude may have different flow design and rate of flow inside the manifold. It sounds like a solid hold my beer moment.

Until

It

Doesn't

Man, Husker525, that's a pretty clear way to tell me not to do it. TBH, we actually went ahead and did the swap, and it worked out initially, but now we're not getting the power we were on Day 1. Thanks for the advice. I think we'll fast-track rebuilding the old carbs and put them back on. Thanks!

Back